RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Unfortunately, Returning Sp3 Due To Throttling

callihan44

It's not working out for me, during a visit to a customer I had to modify a cad drawing while the customer waited and for the first time I really noticed the throttling issue (I-5 128gb). Normally I just use it for presentation and other uses and it's awesome for that role, I wish Microsoft had opted for an additional fan and maybe sacrifice some battery to take full advantage of the horsepower...it's like having a Ferrari with a governor that wont let you go faster than 70mph..disappointed to say the least,now to find something else

Sorry to hear that callihan44.

I have yet to run into noticing the throttling issue on my i7-256. I use mine for cad work as well. I use it frequently at my office to replace my desktop when I feel like not working in my cubicle. I run AutoCAD 2014 and Solidworks on it without any issues, so far. I guess maybe the better graphics processor helps, or maybe you have some serious sized files you are working on.

Edited by JoshB

it generally handles fine during short stints but that particular day the tablet was in use for about 20min continuously while I was altering a drawing, the back of it was smoking hot and the fan in jet mode the duration. Ive seen it do this while playing games and actually fixed the issue with a laptop cooler, I kept the tablet but for lighter uses now.

• 1 month later...

This may be a little late but I've created a fan/duct that attaches to your SP3 to augment the cooling. You can watch a video of me running Skyrim here.  It works by forcing air into the vent holes to help cool the internals where a laptop cooler only blows air on the back or outter surface.  Find more info here.