RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Netflix, XBOX 360, and Surround Sound

Mr Bill

We have an XBOX 360 in our house connected to our entertainment system. We had Netflix for a while bet we were disappointed that the movies were only in stereo and not in surround sound.

I now see that Netflix is available in surround sound on the PS3, but not yet on the XBOX 360.

Does anyone know about an expected date on when Netflix surround sound will be available for the XBOX 360?

That will be nice. I have never even considered netflix due to no dolby digital. I didn't realize it was on the PS3. I will have to check it out now.

For those using netflix on the xbox, is it via media center?

For those using netflix on the xbox, is it via media center?

The Netflix on the xbox is directly on the Dashboard. It's not available through the Media Center Extender.

For me, Netflix on the 360 works great. I have it on my Tivo's also, but the 360's interface is much better IMO. I do wish you had more options to move through or sort your queue, we have a large queue.

• 2 months later...

I just purchased Netflix through my Xbox 360. It works well but I don't appreciate having to get a Xbox Live Gold membership just to utilize the Netflix streaming. As far as surround sound goes I moved my old Toshiba surround system (DVD/VCR Player) to the bedroom and am only using my Samsung TV's speakers for now... not that bad of quality. Hope to get a Samsung wireless surround system eventually.

Having bought a xbox kinnect for my son's ratmas present and thinking about Netflix, I appreciate the tip about the gold subscription.

I was wondering whether to use the Xbox or buy a Roku..... That makes the decision clearer. 1 payment for Roku or endless annual payments to M.S.

I have always used Yamaha for sound surround so check them out, May be a little more pricey but excellent build quality and design. I have nothing against Samsung. I have load of their devices and they always work well unless they need an upgrade (where their customer support seems a little flakey.) Just that Yamaha built some of their reputation in the home surround market and did it before surround became a requirement with television.

Like Hi-Fi; surround follows the same principles and in some ways more so. In any amp you need to look at power supply and current delivery to the speakers. Yamaha pay attention in this area (which is why I can hardly lift my surround decoder... Half the box is transformer) especially when you consider the power required to run a subwoffer plus 5 or more speakers.

For traditional audio HiFi i run a $13,000 (mainly) Linn system but I am also very happy with my sound quality from the Yamaha surround system especially when it can be picked up at reasonable prices. I don't know what your budget is but I recently saw a Yamaha surround receiver in a sale at Frys for $399.

Also check out Sherwood who made a good reputation in my home country.

britishbob, I take it you or your son are not gamers, at least not online gamers. We have three gold accounts (about to convert to the family pack) and feel the price is well worth the annual price. I looked at the Roku and if I am not mistaken, it can't play any local content, which is a deal breaker for me. If it could do that, then the Roku box would be hard to pass up.

Guest no-control

Xbox is the best out there right now for local content. As for extenders close call between the 360 & WDTV Live Hub personal preference followed by Roku XD/S.

Honestly though its what? $4/ mo for a gold account? in the grand scheme of things it isn't very much. I spend more on toilet paper each month.....

britishbob, I take it you or your son are not gamers, at least not online gamers. We have three gold accounts (about to convert to the family pack) and feel the price is well worth the annual price. I looked at the Roku and if I am not mistaken, it can't play any local content, which is a deal breaker for me. If it could do that, then the Roku box would be hard to pass up.

You're right!

I have no interest in games whatsoever. My son has just turned eight, loves games more than breathing so give him time:)