RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

Encore Mini Issues

Dave

When I picked up the Mini I didn't have much hope for it beyond a review and some discussion but I thought I would give a shot at creating a media tablet for the living room.  It does pretty good with the Ceton My Media Center app.  It has Plex and Netflix but I don't want to watch on the device.  Quick weather and browsing are Ok. 

Music is a different story.  The Amazon Cloud Player app for Windows is bad on it.  Not really the tablet's fault.  It's not a good touch app.  Using a browser is not much better.  Only other thing I can think of is when I'm playing music on the tablet and the screen turns off the tunes stop.  Can't leave the app either.  That might be fixable. Hopefully?  My plan was to push music to external speakers but if it keeps turning off there isn't much hope.  

I don't want to compare but after I gave up with it I turned to my wife's iphone and brought up a playlist in a matter of seconds and pushed the tunes out.  I thought of a song I hadn't heard in ages, searched for it, found a youtube, pushed the audio to the house speaker system.  All in a matter of seconds.  There are some things that system does SO MUCH better.  I just can't live with it day to day!

• Like 1

cskenney

I'm glad you posted this.  There is an Encore Mini for $99.99 in the Staples add.  It's available online right now and comes with a 16GB Sandisk microSD card.  I was tempted but I think my money might be better spent on something else.

thelilgeek

I am intrigued by the hp stream 7. I am not a fan of most OEMs other than Lenovo but there is something about that hp that is calling my name.

cskenney
thelilgeek

I know.... Ohhh, don't think that my finger has been hovering over the purchase button all day. I have a limited budget though, so I have to decide whether or not it will be worth it. If it had a digitizer and pen, even if it doubled the price, would be a no brainer.

Oh man, $79. I'll have to check it out.

Edited by thelilgeek

Dave

I think you really have to ask yourself what you will do with it.  It's small. Very small.  I should look at the HP but I think they will be all the same for the most part.  I need to find a setting to allow the music to play when the screen blanks.  Has to be a Win8 setting somewhere.

thelilgeek

Xbox music plays.... I think it is a setting from the app. Might be as simple as allowing the app to run in the background, might be more than that.