RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
sketchzone

Question About Which Processor Is Best For Drawing

sketchzone

Hi, newbie here!  I am so happy to have discover the Surface Pro Artist website and this forum. There are so many reviews on the SP3 but nothing really gear for artists.

Apologies in advance if this question has been posted before (some of the earlier posts touch on this but nothing really in depth).

Can anyone give some insight into which processor: i5 or i7 is best for drawing/painting in photoshop, painter, sketchbook pro, etc?

The price differences is big enough between the two processors and while I would love to get the i7 with 256 GB, it certainly hits the wallet hard :(
Has anyone use photoshop on the i5? Does it run smoothly? Are there issues like heat or overall system sluggishness? Programs like photoshop utilize a lot of juice on a desktop, so I can only imagine how much power is require to run them on a mobile system.

Thanks!

callihan44

I personally would get the I-5 model and yes ive used photoshop on it with good results, both models will throttle when they reach a certain temp

• Like 1

sketchzone

Thanks for the advice callihan44 and just what I needed to know! 

I found an author reviewing the specs for SP3 online and he made an excellent point: it's a trade off between power and portability. Yeah, it would be cool to do some intensive video rendering but there are desktops and laptops build to handle that kind of work and which are far cheaper.

I like the fact that with 8 GB of RAM, I can do some serious photoshop work on a portable computer like SP3.

Edited by sketchzone

LazyZen

Thanks for the advice callihan44 and just what I needed to know! 

I found an author reviewing the specs for SP3 online and he made an excellent point: it's a trade off between power and portability. Yeah, it would be cool to do some intensive video rendering but there are desktops and laptops build to handle that kind of work and which are far cheaper.

I like the fact that with 8 GB of RAM, I can do some serious photoshop work on a portable computer like SP3.

At present I am a customer ipad air 2, but its screen is not compatible with a sophisticated stylus, (Adonit, wacom ISC2), and it is practically impossible to draw anything. At this moment I am looking for an alternative, I thought surface pro 3, good enough to draw at least in the store today, I tried to do a couple of lines in the firmware, the responsiveness of the pen and less straight lines surprised me compared to the ipad, but not know how to behave adobe illustrator or corel painter, where there will be many layers will be enough CPU power? 4Gb ram should be enough in my opinion, you have had the experience, what do you say?

Edited by LazyZen

SurfaceProArtist

My recommendation for serious work is the i5 with 8 GB and 256 GB storage. However, I've tested several devices with 4 GB and they work well too. You just have to be prepared for slowdowns as you push the resolution or number of layers in your projects.

Edited by surfaceproartist