RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Initial experiences with an OCZ 120GB RevoDrive

ikon

pcdoc's blog post about striping 2 OCZ Vertex drives for more speed inspired me to run the same benchmark, ATTO, against my Revo. Here are the results:

I am not sure what a revo is. Can you post a link to it on newegg or amazon?

Not a fan of newegg.ca or amazon.ca?

Amazon.ca & Newegg.ca are the 'poor cousins from the Ozarks' compared to Amazon.com & Newegg.com ;)

Since I'm in Canada I rarely go to newegg or amazon, but here's a link on the OCZ site: http://www.ocztechno...xpress-ssd.html

Oh, I didn't realize they had a special name. I found out about those after I purchased my two OCZ Vertex 2, 120 GB SSD's. I would have tried one of the Revo's if I knew about them first.

Yours may not be quite as fast, but it is really good for one drive. Amazing the PCIe can be so much faster than the SATA controllers.

Oh, I didn't realize they had a special name. I found out about those after I purchased my two OCZ Vertex 2, 120 GB SSD's. I would have tried one of the Revo's if I knew about them first.

Yours may not be quite as fast, but it is really good for one drive. Amazing the PCIe can be so much faster than the SATA controllers.

Yeah, that's why I got the Revo. SATA II tops out at 3 Gbps. Each lane of PCIe v2.x tops out at 4 Gbps. Since the Revo is a 4-lane card it tops out at 16 Gbps, plenty of bandwidth to handle the thoughput of the SSDs. BTW, the Revo is actually two 60 GB SSDs in RAID 0, which also helps with the overall performance.

Edited by ikon

Guest no-control

Since the Revo is a 4-lane card it tops out at 16 Gbps, plenty of bandwidth to handle the thoughput of the SSDs.

That's the only bummer though the Tech doesn't take advantage of this until you drop a few grand for the really big drives. It the only reason I didn't buy one, otherwise I was all hot n bothered when they were announced..

That's the only bummer though the Tech doesn't take advantage of this until you drop a few grand for the really big drives. It the only reason I didn't buy one, otherwise I was all hot n bothered when they were announced..

Very true. I've decided to be happy with the fact that I've avoided the SATA bottleneck so the drive can operate at its max. :D