RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Initial experiences with an OCZ 120GB RevoDrive

ikon

Greetings.

I wanted to pass on my initial experiences with an OCZ 120GB RevoDrive I just installed in my existing Windows 7 main computer.

I bought the RevoDrive because:

1) it could speed up my current system and still be very usable in a new build and

2) I got it at a pretty decent price ($300).

My first hope was that I would be able to simply restore my WHS backup of my system to the new drive. Unfortunately, this did work as hoped.

After disconnecting the existing hard drive system, I installed the RevoDrive in a PCIe slot and booted up from the PC Recovery disk. When I tried to restore my latest backup it failed because PC Recovery couldn't find the new drive. OK, obviously a driver issue. I used a 2nd PC to download the drivers and placed them in the Software share on the WHS. I then rebooted my RevoDrive system into PC Recovery and used the option that lets you add drivers to load up the RevoDrive drivers I downloaded. Voila! the RevoDrive became available.

I restored the latest backup of my system with no issue. Then I rebooted my system with full anticipation that all would be well. Unfortunately, when I used Disk Manager to check the RevoDrive, I found it had been partitioned oddly. I expected to find a very small Reserved System partition and a much larger Windows partition, just like in any normal Windows 7 install. Instead, I found a Reserved System partition of around 40GB and a Windows partition of around 70GB (the RevoDrive has a formatted capacity of 111GB).

Needless to say, this is not what I wanted. Since the Reserved System partition can't be mounted as a logical drive, 95%+ of the space in that partition would be wasted.

I tried shrinking the Reserved System paritition. It shrank alright; unfortunately, the newly unallocated space sat between the Reserved System & Windows partitions, so I couldn't add it to the Windows one.

I thought of using the free version of EaseUS ToDo Partition Master to manipulate the partitions. Fail! The free version doesn't support x64 (which I'm running of course). I didn't have any other partition managers on hand.

In the end, I bit the bullet and installed a fresh copy of Windows 7. I did help myself a bit by using my TechNet subsciption to download the most recent build of the Windows 7 x64 DVD. This meant most of the security updates and patches would already be included (another good reason to have TechNet).

The installation went smoothly, with the partitions being created as they usually are. I turned off indexing, disabled the drive cache/paging file, and installed the few outstanding security updates and patches from Windows Update.

I also noticed an issue with indexing. It seems Windows tries to automatically index new folders as they are created, something everyone else here probably already knew. In the end I ran services.msc and disabled Windows Search, which should take care of it permanently.

It was now time to install applications. Since I knew they would show some of the best improvement, I installed Adobe Premiere CS4 and Photoshop CS5. OMG! Photoshop, from the time I clicked the icon, til the time the blank workspace appeared: 5 seconds on first load, 3 seconds on subsequent loads!

Conclusion? This thing rocks! Load times like what I'm now getting really change the whole way computers can be used. Another example: before the RevoDrive I would hesitate to reboot, knowing it would take several minutes before I could get back to my work. Now, it takes about 1 minute, and most of that is the POST. I am obviously much more willing to take the time to reboot. While it's true I don't yet have all my apps loaded, the initial experience is very positive.

As a final note, I checked my Windows Performance Rating. It's hilarious. My Processor, Memory, Graphics, and Gaming graphics are all at 5.9. My new, awesome RevoDrive? LOL, it's at 7.9 ! So, the fastest component in my system is now the hard drive :)

Guest no-control

Lol

My devious plan is working buy SSD's people buy buy BUY!!!!

I want these things to be cheap and big by this time next year...

Glad you like the drive.

• 2 weeks later...

I heard alot of people are having trouble with the MB not letting you use them as a boot drive. what system board are you using and could you not just clone it over to the drive then change your boot drive.

thanks

Thanks for sharing your first impressions. Sounds impressive.

mksE55,

Most current MB should be OK with these. Most issues are with early gen boards.

• 4 months later...

pcdoc's blog post about striping 2 OCZ Vertex drives for more speed inspired me to run the same benchmark, ATTO, against my Revo. Here are the results:

OCZrevoATTOtest.jpg

pcdoc's blog post about striping 2 OCZ Vertex drives for more speed inspired me to run the same benchmark, ATTO, against my Revo. Here are the results:

OCZrevoATTOtest.jpg

Nice, thanks for the update. Very impressive and a quick turn key solution that is easier to setup than a RAID. Just plug and go.

Nice, thanks for the update. Very impressive and a quick turn key solution that is easier to setup than a RAID. Just plug and go.

You have to load the drivers but, other than that, yeah, pretty easy. Your performance is still better though; not a huge amount, but still faster.

@ PC Doc

When you built your system with the SSD and a spindle data drive,

what method did you use to transfer the user profile to the data drive?