RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
WolfJT

Mobile Payment With Windows Phone

WolfJT

Hello, has anyone used Tap to Pay with Windows Phone yet? Verizon users have to have a SENFC enabled SIM. Of course, I called Verizon and the lady didn't have a clue what I was talking about.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I have not. At this time I have no desire to try it. Kind of like small phones and tablets, it makes no sense to me at the moment.

Sent from my Lumia Icon via Tapatalk

kylejwx

I have been using softcard on my Verizon Android for months and it works great if you ask me. I could not get it to work on Windows Phone this summer. Softcard has promised a windows phone app, but has yet to deliver. That is really the only hold up.

Dave

I'm going to give this a try as well.  When it was named ISIS I didn't care for opening that app but since the rename I've been meaning to load up some cards.  I also need to encrypt the SD card.  Time to get that done.

WolfJT

I tend to stop by Verizon this week to get an encrypted SIM. I'm under the impression that as long as you have an encrypted SIM the MS wallet should be good enough to use for mobile payment.

kylejwx

What store do you plan to try it at? I tried to make a payment with windows phone this summer at McDonald's but nothing happened. I feel like the Windows Phone wallet app is more like a framework that other apps can use, but it still requires the third party app.

thelilgeek

Softcard was released this morning for WP8. I guess I'll have to go get a new SIM and try this out.

• Like 1

kylejwx

Here is some info based on my experiences using Softcard for the past few months.

First, of all softcard is literally just a digital wallet: it digitally stores credit cards, just like your physical wallet stores physical credit cards. Not much going on with the softcard app directly.

There are only select credit cards that can be added. If your's is not on the list or you only have a debit card, you will need to set up an American Express Serve account. This is a prepaid debit card account, that functions similar to PayPal.

Under this setup, you will only see the Amex Serve account in softcard. You will then need to link a credit, debit, or back account to your Serve account. The great thing here is that transfers from a debit card into Serve are instantaneous. You can transfer money manually or set it up for automatic transfer when you pay with Serve, just like PayPal. I believe the transfer limits are $200 daily and $1000 monthly. Serve accounts typically have a $1 a month fee but that is waived for softcard users. I have never been charged a fee. Serve is probably the best prepaid debit account on the market.

I tried to help a non techie set this up and they got frustrated because of having to create two new acounts, remember two new passwords, and two new pin numbers. For me, it was no big deal. I was able to use the account immediately after setup, but some features are disabled until you receive the physical version of your serve card in the mail and activate it.

That's the basics. Now just open the softcard app, explain what you are doing to the cashier, and tap to pay.

thelilgeek

I initially thought that I would be able to use any card. Too much trouble for me. To use it at the few places that accept it. Uninstalling, but watching it's growth.

kylejwx

Part 2.

The next main thing to know about Softcard and Serve is all the deals you can get.

Not all these deals are still in effect but several are.

I got money for signing up.

I have earned amazon gift cards for referring people.

I get $1 back on every purchase up to $50 per month. (Lasts until the end of the year)

I got $20 back for spending $40 (expired)

Between my wife and I, I estimate we have saved/made about $500 in 5 months.

For me that's worth it, plus I know that my primary debit card isn't getting swiped. If target or home depot get hacked again, Serve can reissue my card, without messing up my main checking debit card.

• Like 1