RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Wacom Full Circle... Well, Sort Of

ebot

So hey, funny story: I've sold my second hand SP2 for the same price as I bought it.

Why? A few reasons: I found I wasn't taking it with me as much due to the extra weight; the screen size is just a little too cramped for manga studio (which I'm becoming a big fan of - perspective ruler, you had me at hello); I miss the 'drawing table' angle the SP3 can manage; the parallax and 'slippery' stylus nib combined with the cramped screen makes line work unnecessarily wobbly.

I'm thinking of going to a different retailer and getting the i3 model. I think I'm okay with the smaller SSD, and I like the idea of an overall lower temperature in the right hand corner. I'm crossing my fingers that the jittery pen effect in the two i5 devices I tried was just really bad luck.

I'm afraid the jittery lines on slow diagonal lines is symptomatic of all N-Trig devices. The only solution is to adjust the brush stabilization settings in Manga Studio until you find a setting that works for you. You have to set this value per brush, it's not global. I draw quickly, so 15 (the default highest setting) is usually sufficient for me. Anything above 45 introduces unacceptable lag.

Yeah, I'm not talking about slow, wobbly diagonal lines - I get people have a problem with that.

I don't. What I had a problem with was... Well, say you drew three quick circles. The first two were fine, but the third was a jittered, jagged pancake.

For me, it would happen occasionally, and for an indeterminate period of time. I could have sworn it was a hardware or software fault, so I returned the device, and the second one had the same problem.

The issue would always start on the right hand side of the screen, when it got hot. maybe it's connected, or maybe it's me making a false connection. dunno.

Hopefully I'll get lucky, and discover the issue was with the batch the other retailer had.

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up a second hand (but still under warranty and included receipt of purchase) Surface Pro 3; the i3 model.

Spent the afternoon erasing the thing and reinstalling OS updates, Manga studio, mischief, artrage etc.

Spending some time with it now... Man, I have missed this kickstand, the better screen, the lighter weight... having the start button on the right (as I'm a lefty).

Performance wise, this feels snappy. Plus, it doesn't seem to get as hot or run the fan... At all, so far. Is that the March firmware update?

Most importantly, haven't had any trouble with the pen. In fact, it feels like the IAF is better here than with either of the two i5's I had initially. If I don't get any jittery-ness in the next week or so, I'm going to suggest that the place I bought my i5 (and it replacement) had a box of faulty devices.

I'm doing a happy dance, on the inside.

Oh, as an aside, this SP3 i3 with type cover and carrying pouch cost me $700 in total, a savings of about $500 (all in Australian dollars). Was a real bargain.
  • Like 1

It's a shame that most i3 devices are saddled with less RAM and storage, because as far as I can tell, that processor is better suited to tablets. Glad to see the pen is working better for you.