RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Wacom Full Circle... Well, Sort Of

ebot

Did you finally get Manga Studio working? You could use your serial number to download the latest update and install that from the Smith Micro site (it's a full version).

Besides setting your Surface Hub pen pressure, you should also adjust your pressure within the paint program (if it's available). Ray Frenden describes how to set it in Manga Studio here: http://frenden.com/post/98326318922/get-the-most-out-of-your-manga-studio-brushes

I did manage to download manga studio from the smith micro website, but it wouldn't accept my serial number. Presumably because it's for disc copies? Dunno.

Waiting for some free time to try and contact MS technical support.

Here's a funny thing. If I hover the stylus tip over my screen, it appears to be tracking accurately as I trace circles. Am I taking my hand off the the screen and not realising it? is the tip damaged in some way?

This is the worst part of taking a risk on a (relatively) expensive product. I don't trust the experience of the reps at the store I bought it from, so I'm here waiting to chat to a ms rep online, who I'll then be describing almost subjective experiences to, and asking them to give me objective feedback.

Tough for everyone involved. Sigh.

I've been third in the queue for 10 minutes. In typing that... I think I'm probably absusing this forum thread. Who wants to read up to the minute gripes. Heh.

I'd suggest you try a different pen once you're sure that you've got the Surface Hub and Manga Studio pressure curves set correctly.

I feel pretty confident its the pen.

I spent a hour getting hold of a ms rep via online chat. We then spent an hour doing stuff like updating OneNote (via updating the desktop version it turns out), and deleting the Marvel Avastor Bluetooth driver.

None of that helped, but by the same token, Kenneth, my rep, was polite and positive. We had to end the chat to restart the Surface, but he ended the discussion saying the replacing the pen might be the next step.

Since then, I've tested the pen with more circles. And, depending on where I'm holding the pen in relation to the buttons can severely worsen the experience.

If I hold the pen with the buttons facing out, I lose a large chunk of the start of each circle. If I hold it buttons facing inwards, I lose a small chunk.

That's got to be something to do with the pen.

Had a quick chat with another MS rep this morning and they're sending out a replacement pen free of charge within the week. This is turning into a tech support thread, but I do want to mention that my MS support experience so far has been really good.

Fingers crossed. Now, if Comixology would get around to getting their metro app actually, y'know, working...  [grins]

Just went to a nearby department store that sells Surfaces; one of the many where batteries in their display pens are all dead.

I convinced a nice young guy to let me put my good battery in their dead pen - pen worked flawlessly.

So, this is me, poorly imitating a patient man who is waiting for a replacement pen. Feeling better now I've confirmed what a 'working' pen is.

Heh - two things today.

1. Managed to turn my Manga Studio install disk into an ISO and install it; turns out my external BluRay drive just didn't like running off a mobile windows (or maybe windows 8?) device. Ran just fine on my desktop Win 7 PC.

2. My glitchy surface pen, under Manga studio, without any tweaking of settings, is running fine(?) at first glance: It appears to be this specific pen and OneNote that are having an ongoing disagreement... Or Manga Studio developers are masters of dark arts [shrugs].

Oh , and 3. Reinstalled the Comixology app, and am now following the specific instructions regarding ensuring a successful download. The app still has problems... But man, Chris Samnee's pencils on this thing are a joy. It's like owning an oversized edition of, everything. : )

Did you install N-Trig's wintab driver? You might try removing it to see if it's conflicting with OneNote somehow. I've found this to be the case with the driver and Illustrator CC 2014.

Got the replacement pen... And I'm still seeing the issue. Circles are the worst, sometimes it just doesn't pick up the first half of the circle.

I'm only seeing it in OneNote. I'm going to go back to the nearby store again and check to see if I'm just going nuts.

Manga Studio Pro doesn't seem to present the same issue... Re the N-tri Wintab drivers: I haven't specifically installed them, but they might have been installed as part of the standard Windows update process? I haven't figured out where to find them in Windows yet. Have to be in here somwehere...