RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Transferring data from an old WHS to a new replacement WHS

Mr Bill

Good day all,

What is the best way to transfer data between two MediaSmart servers?

My EX485 is dying. I have a VGA cable on its way, so hopefully I can get it back up and running.

I have a new EX490 on its way to replace the EX485.

Once I get the 485 back up and running, what is the best way to transfer the data onto the 490?

I was thinking just to copy the data across the network between the two via my gigabit network.

Is there any other way that would work better?

The fastest would be to "remove" one of the drives in the pool, quick format it and then copy data disk->disk on the 485, then stick that disk into the 490 and copy over to the pool there.

I currently have 4 drives in the unit. The primary dive is a 750Gb, two 1Tb, and one 2Tb.

The thing is that I don’t have 1Tb of free space in the pool. I believe that I have to have that much space free to move all of the data off of one of the 1Tb drives.

Is this assumption correct?

Hi MrBill,

Always a stresssful time this ..file moving that is ;-)

The short answer to your assumption is ...Yes. As you would need at least that amount of free space equivalent to the size of the drive you wish to "remove".

But there may be options available to you, depending on how important some files are.

It's all about balancing the risk of file loss.

Do you have folder duplication turned on? Can you turn this off for some or all folders?? Benefits: no loss of files but recovers the space. Risk: increase risk of files should anything happen to the one remaining copy.

Are the some file you could remove beacuse you have them stored elsewhere?? Or youcould get them back easily??

My preference would be to buy, or borrow if able, an external USB drive of say at least 1TB capacity. use this drive to transfer files to he new box.

If you buy the external drive you will be able to set it up as a backup drive the future and have more file security. Win Win.

The fastest file moving will be achieved via the method indicated by usacomp2k3 as the internal disk bus will be the fastest.

Transfer via external USB drive probably the next fastest, followed by network transfer, if a '1Gig" network ....if 100Meg network .....then it's going to be very slow.

Either way, moving 3TB of data ain't going to happen over-night. ;-)

Don't rush, do it methodically, use copy and not move ...just in case, also a 'copy' command is usually faster than a 'move' command. Once the file is transferred to it's new home you then can remove the old file.

If, like me, you wish to verify the file status on the new drive, you can use one of the many file duplication finder programs....most of these have a 'byte by byte' comparison mode. (my favourite is 'Duplicate Cleaner')

hope this helps,

Phil

Edited by manphil

All depends on what you what to do. One easy thing to do is put all your drives from your EX48x into your EX49x, make sure that the system drive which is the bottom drive stays as the bottom drive on the EX49x box. Then do a server recover. This will replace the EX48x OS with the new EX49x OS but not touch your data. Do not select the option Factory Reset or that WILL DELETE ALL DATA ON ALL THE DRIVES.

The thing here is that now, you just replaced your EX490 2TB system drive with your EX48x 750Gig drive. You still have to recreate the Users profiles.

• 2 weeks later...

Not to be dense, but you can pull the drives from an EX48x and put them into another EX48x or EX49x?

I have been VERY concerned about what I would do if my server crashed. I have almost 15tb of data/movies on 10 drives. So if worst comes to worst I MIGHT be able to pull the data drives from the old server and install them in a new one? THAT would be a big load off my soul. . . I've actually been contemplating duplicate servers and that's just way too, um... obsessive for the wife to understand.

Worst case, you can add them one-by-one and copy the data from teh drive to the pool before adding each drive to the pool.

Worst case, you can add them one-by-one and copy the data from teh drive to the pool before adding each drive to the pool.

Thanks. :) Thats a big relief if my OS drive fails.

Don.

A little different take on the same question. I just placed a 2TB drive into a 495 to back up all the shares.

Can you use BDBB with that drive as one partition or does it have to be one for shares and one for backups?

I would like to build a replacement WHS and move that drive to restore the data. At this time all my backups

and data will fit on the 2TB drive. I won't need to save the OS, so can I build the new one and then restore

the shares and backups from this drive?