RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
scottbakertemp1488993265

Microsoft And High End Phones?

scottbakertemp1488993265

Is it just me or does it look like Microsoft has given up on the high end phone business?

It sure looks like they aren't making the 1020 anymore.

Verizon just dumped the icon.

All that leaves from the 4 major carriers is the 928 on Verizon and the 1520 on ATT.

WolfJT

There is a race to the bottom. MS most successful phone is the 520 for the emerging markets. they may be holding off on a big flagship until Win 10 is released. meanwhile, the HTC one (M8) is an outstanding looking phone. The Samsung Ativ isn't all that bad either. There are some choices. I was just at Verizon and they had the HTC one with Win Phone 8.1 already on it.  

thelilgeek

I did a little looking around. I expect an announcement somewhere from December to February for an updated 1020 device. The Announcement was 10 months after the 920, the Icon was announced in February, and the 920 was announced in April.

WolfJT

and the pathetic thing is the Icon has been end of life by Verizon. Woe to us Windows Phone users

pfinter

I have used a WP since the Samsung Focus and WP 7 came out. I move over to the Nokia 920 when my contract of the Focus was over. I really loved the Focus and WP 7. I really liked the 920 but, WP 8 wasn't my favorite. I really think they brought out an inferior product when they pulled the "do over" with WP 8. 

However, WP 8.1 is really nice. Not one thing that I really hate. I'm not a big app person. I use tapatalk and podcast and I use the camera. Otherwise, I have a tablet (Nokia 2520) that I carry around and really prefer to use over the 920. I'm holding off replacing the 920 until WP 10 as I don't want to be left in the WP 8.1 world.  

But, what is the future of WP? I'm not getting the feeling that MS management is behind it anymore. It's like they are just fulfilling a contract or obligation, no passion.  With MS becoming a Services company AND the fact that newer better updates for MS apps go to IOS and Android first (I understand why, just not happy about it), why am I hanging out with the unloved tech?  Also, WP10 will be yet essentially another all new version/upgrade.  Not sure if I can go through another round of "none of your old apps will transfer to the new version of the WP OS" game.

Thoughts?