RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
WolfJT

Verizon And Windows Phone

WolfJT

According to an article by Mary Jo Foley it looks like Verizon is discontinuing sales of the flagship Icon.  To me this puts the nail in Windows Phone. MS gave Verizon exclusivity to a flagship and less than a year later they aren't going to sell them anymore. The Icon is a great, great device but I guess it doesn't matter. Looks like us mobile users will be held hostage to Google and Apple, what a pity!

schoondoggy

My wife is still waiting for 8.1 on her Lumia 928.

WolfJT

You need to join the dev preview and upgrade it. Verizon isn't going to do anything with Cyan. It's pathetic really. I've been running 8.1 on my Icon since day one it works fine, not as fine as it would with Cyan but oh well.

Dave

Did we ever hear a better answer from Verizon?  Hey MS where is some new hardware?  AT&T folks need an upgrade!

WolfJT

I've not heard a thing, other than some new phones were delayed and stopped from being released this fall.

FinsUpDNC

This is crap, but not unexpected.  Verizon would dump the iPhone if it did not sell so well.  Verizon is actively trying to become a phone and tablet maker using Android.  WP does let them install something on the device, but not like you can on Android.  They keep their toe in the water, but that is it.

ATT has the HTC One M8 and 830 coming in a few weeks.  Better than nothing, but the fact that MS agreed to keep the 930 out of the US giving VZW the exclusive was pretty stupid.  Now that it is out of store, you would think they can sell the 930...but my guess is the contract does not allow.

• Like 1

schoondoggy

I have to wonder what it would take for OnePlus One to make a Verizon compatible Windows Phone?

WolfJT

Still would be dependent on Verizon for updates which sucks

schoondoggy

Still would be dependent on Verizon for updates which sucks

No it would not, they don't sell through the carriers.

The current phones support AT&T and T-Mobile. They run Cyanogenmod. Hardware wise they should be able to WP. They would need to push their own updates. 

chilero

Of course you could come to Canada and see what it is like here.  The last flagship was the 1020.  No 925, 930, 1520 and no HTC One M8.  In fact if you check out the page of available Windows Phones today at our top 3 networks you'll only find the 520, 635 and the Ativ S.  Yes, we might get the 830 next week.  At the Microsoft store you can still get an unlocked 1020 and the Blu Win Jr.  That is depressing.

Our carriers have been pretty good with the updates though, unlike Verizon.