RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
GeekVerve

Wondering If I Should Have Gotten The I7 Version

GeekVerve

I bought the i5 8/256GB SP3 a couple days ago.  Loving it so far, but haven't had the time to really give it a work out.

I will be doing primarily programming and productivity work with it (Visual Studio, MS Office, light graphics stuff in Paint.Net, etc.), but it would be nice to fire up the occasional game to kill some time.  I understand both the i5 and i7 CPU's are going to throttle under load.  I'm ok with that.  What I'm wondering is whether or not there is a compelling reason to go with the i7 over the i5.  Is there a significant performance difference (I consider 10% or less to be relatively insignificant)?  How about heat?  The i5 gets pretty warm under load, so is it safe to assume the i7 would be significantly hotter?

What little I've found on the subject at this point would indicate that the performance difference between the two is negligible under the current throttling levels.  Would you agree?

Thanks,

GV

Edited by GeekVerve

mtalinm

i7 is hotter and battery lasts less long. trust me, I own one. avoid.

MrSteve007

The core i5 version has an intel HD4400 GPU. The core i7 model has an intel HD5000 GPU. According to Anandtech's benchmark testing, that should result in between 10% to 18% better graphics performance.

55812.png

Dave

The i7 has the better GPU.  If what you're doing is quick hits to the CPU the i7 will be the faster choice.  Balanced power and CPU, certainly the i5.  I'm very happy with my i3 after returning the i5.  It's odd but this i3 keeps the CPU pegged and doesn't bounce around like my i5 did.  That allows me to do everything I was doing with the SP2.

GeekVerve

The i7 has the better GPU.  If what you're doing is quick hits to the CPU the i7 will be the faster choice.  Balanced power and CPU, certainly the i5.  I'm very happy with my i3 after returning the i5.  It's odd but this i3 keeps the CPU pegged and doesn't bounce around like my i5 did.  That allows me to do everything I was doing with the SP2.

Could it simply be that the i5 was completing its work in fewer cycles, while the i3 takes a little longer, therefore presenting a more steady load curve?

callihan44

The i7 and i5 will heat up faster than the i3, when the temp hits the limit the cpu throttles back. Therefore everything Ive seen says the i7 will throttle back faster than the other 2 processors. Unless of course you want to tinker with the voltage and make it run cooler