RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

My Surface Pro 2 (512 Gig) Setup W/ 4 External Monitors

MrSteve007

Thought you guys might appreciate my Surface Pro 2 desk layout. Anyone who says that a Surface Pro 2 can't replace a desktop, hasn't seen my setup:

10402388_10154615959895296_8180666159760

The Surface Pro 2 is on the bottom left - plus there's a Surface 2 in the middle, and a iPad 2 on the right.

Here's the monitor layout from the Surface Pro 2:

10659245_10154615959885296_2798262298071

Displays:

- Surface Pro 2: 1920 x 1080

- Displayport - Dell U2913WM, 29" wide: 2560 x 1080

- Daisychained Displayport - Dell U2713HM: 2560 x 1440

Via USB 3.0 Toshiba Dynadock port extender

- DVI Dell 2408WFP 1200 x 1920

- HDMI Dell 2408WFP 1200 x1920

Also included, dock, external 2TB drive (under desk), USB DVD drive, Wacom Inuos 3. 

The Surface Pro 2 handles these tasks with aplumb. I frequently use Adobe Photoshop CC and Premiere CC and will edit large, multi-hour HD videos along with short 4K content. When out off the office, I'll undock the SP2 and use a T-mobile LTE hotspot while on the go. I look forward to integrating my new Surface Pro 3, 512 into this setup.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Truxi
      By Truxi
      Hi there, newbie here.  Just got myself a Surface Pro 2, and I'm looking to put some software on it.  I bought a copy of Manga Studio Ex 4.0 awhile back, but it's on disk.  Is there a way for me to install it?  Preferably without having to buy another piece of hardware?

I tried putting the disc contents on a jump drive, and that seemed to work, but after I put in my serial number, it told me it couldn't do things until I put the disc in.

Thanks!
    • Tatious
      By Tatious
      Hey all,
      I turn to you becuase I have a serious issue with color banding. I've seen fixes with this by sorting out preferences in the Intel graphics menu- but I have no idea how to pull this up or if I need to install special drivers to do so.
      I've been trying to paint and ANY darker shades just equal banding blobs. It's awful!
      https://twitter.com/Tatious/status/450896948745105408 for reference.. and don't even get me started on using any shade of black.

Have you all encountered this? What was your fix?
    • reiaya
      By reiaya
      does anybody witj illustrator cs6 using the default stylus has the same problem as me, of the stylus never releasing? I zoom in, make an square and releas to see an specific part of my drawing... but for some reason my stylus nevé release, and so continues zoom in in and in and in.... until I select another tool, making my zoom tool rather unusable. someone help!
    • reiaya
      By reiaya
      Everyday, I want to love my new surface pro 2, and everyday I have q new problem that makes me cry of why I didn't bought an apple macbook air. Like I never had brand new problems everyday.

first the artdock, I cant managed to make it run check the posts of it that i already posted.

So now is freaking mozilla firefox. everything was ok, just suddenly my touch stop working. I can type with the keyboard on screen but whenever I tried to click back or something my touch is not detected, So i need to use the freaking stylus for all! even the scroll that is a pain seems iy waw faster with my finger and now I need to calculated the bar to put on my cursor and scroll!

aaaaahhhh! and again nothing on the web about this error or i dont know how to google it.

it started yesterday at night, after i was trying to install the horrid artdock...so im not sure if thst program, hotkey did something to spoil my firefox. Even yesterday my touch didn't work in my task bar, just the stencil. (and not, i never managed to have the artdock shortcuts in screen so i couldnt have disable my touch)
    • ebot
      By ebot
      This is an advice posting, but I'll try to make the journey to the question a little diverting.

I'm a casual scribbler. I love drawing; love comic books, but I've never derived an income, it's always just something I've done to have fun.

I spend most of my time in IT in one form or another. I have some graphic design experience (studied it 20 years ago)... Purchased my first Wacom tablet for some crazy amount of money, but I could never get past the cognitive dissonance of drawing on a surface while watching the screen somewhere else.

At one point I owned a Cintiq 12x? the little one... I replaced it with a first gen iPad, because I can't sit for long periods at a desk (busted spine) and I don't like being tethered in general.

I fell in love with Adobe Ideas. Being able to freehand vectors (Macromedia! Woo!) and apply lighting effects via semi-transparent layers: Awesome.   

Then I repaced the iPad with an iPad 2 for the additional grunt and cameras (Facetime my folks).

Until the ipad 2, I drew with a stubby Wacom bamboo stylus. The end of the first gen iPad started a journey of disappointment as I went on to purchase and become disillusioned with around 15 different styluses.

A combination of no palm rejection and no decent Initial Activation Force (IAF - a term that describes a problem I've always had but couldn't articulate)... At the end of the iPad 2 era, I was mostly happy with a Maglus.

Then along came the iPad Air. The change in display tech (in the Air) made all my existing iPad styli mostly useless, including the Maglus.

So I splurged on a battery-powered Evernote(branded) Bluetooth fine point stylus... And spent the next 12 months getting angry at it (because it was mechanically faulty and I didn't gather up the guts to confirm/replace it).

Eventually I did, and the replacement is okay... But in the meantime I picked up an Apex - no Bluetooth, still no pressure sensitivity...  But all I cared about was IAF and having a non-stubby tip. If I'm writing notes in a meeting or just mucking around, I want every contact between pen and display to register, not some: It's irritating to have to 'rewrite' letters because the hardware didn't register the strike-though on a 't'.

I gave up drawing on the iPad air. I still co-draw stuff with my 4 year old daughter, but we mainly use our fingers (Artrage+finger painting = fun).    

Then this year, I was looking for a cheap windows 8 tablet to install Steam, so I could stream/play PC games on the couch while my wife watches bad TV.

I picked up an Ausus VivoTab Note 8 (32Gig) for $200 on Amazon, funnily enough, because it has Wacom tech in it. 'Turns out I really like scribbling in OneNote. The lines look lovely and it seems like you have an infinite canvas size(?) - you just keep drawing and scrolling.

I purchased a $40 copy of Manga Studio, because I miss layers.

When the Wacom tech works, its... Fantastic. I don't mind the little stylus; a couple of days a week I catch the train to work (cycle most of the time) and I can knock out a few quick sketches.

I'd forgotten how much joy I derive from it.

But then: On the AVN8, the stylus goes nuts along one corner, and every now and then a 3cm area on the stylus will 'go dead' - usually fixed by a restart of the device - but annoying when it happens. I've read enough forum posts to know that there's no such thing a working AVN8, just varying levels of not working, so replacing it isn't really an option.

My question:
      Do I spurgle on a SP3? Sight unseen, Do you think I'll get annoyed by the increased IAF required?

Do I go look for a SP2? Do I run the risk of getting one with dodgy Wacom tech in it - Until the AVN8, I didn't know there was dodgy Wacom tech- is there another Manufacturer I should consider? My requirements are:

be a capable Steam Home streaming client
      be light (relatively)
      Not have a resolution so high and a screen so small that I can't make out anything
      have 6+ hours battery life
      Not be crazy expensive
      has inking tech that will register fine touches (see: fast notetaking)
      not have dodgy corners or dead spots, temporary or permanent
      Have nice (Agnes Nutter nice I mean) software.

Please note that my life doesn't depend on a perfect solution, I do fine as a low level Database administrator. I just like drawing (even more than playing videogames I finally realise)

Thanks btw for existing, Surface pro artist. The recent stuff about the N-trig hub software is very informative.

Cheers.