RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

Toshiba Encore Mini First Look

Dave

I've got this little 7" device powered up and try to show you a few things in this video.

Dave

I find it crazy that this thing has Windows 8.1, Office 365, and is only $119.99.  Oh yeah, only 16GB of hard drive storage. What?

Anything you guys would like me to try on this thing?  I know first thing is to clear up some disk space.  I did more updates and the storage space is VERY low.  I really hate to remove the recovery data but I might have to.

Joe_Miner

What MicroSD cards have you used in the Toshiba Encore Mini?

yodafett

Been playing with it in my hotel room.   still trying to get VPN working but love the fact it is the non RT version windows.  opted for no office for now and have a 32 GB SD card at home for it.  tethered to my phone makes it nice for Java webcams which are hard to configure on the iPhone.  while it won't replace my iPad i do find it nice for Gen8 ilo.   Worst criticism so far is i find it tiring on the eyes.  might be so to long hours but the less than stellar dpi can cause fatigue.  but now at least sort of surfaces. Then again if i rdp  my laptop to my desktop it is surfacish

Joe_Miner

What are you using to charge your mini?

Full disclosure -- I'm a idiot.  I thought I had charged mine up using my phone charger -- apparently that didn't work well and did not give it a full charge like I expected -- and when I thought I had a hardware crash that I had tweeted about it was actually a power failure.  Hat's off to CSKenney for seeing the real issue.  It was my wife reading the manual who suggested last nite when I got home from Chicago that I plug it into a USB port on a ON Computer as suggested by Toshiba.  I did that not expecting it to work and this morning I was at 51% charge and the mini powered up!!  YIPPIE!!!!

Bottom line:

CSKenney is a technical guru

My wife is a technical genius (and she reads the directions)

I don't know anything -- pay no attention to me

Joe_Miner

It is a pretty cool tablet!

I'm going to have to try Skype on this thing soon!!

Looking for a relatively cheap AC adapter that other people are using successfully to charge their Mini WT7-C16 so that I have a faster option besides plugging into a Computer USB port

It is neat to go to the desktop on this thing -- I entered in my MS Account logon and it pulled all the stuff over from my Laptop.  I may need to put a mini card in this before loading Office 365 -- I wonder how it would take Office 365 Pro?

yodafett

I use a duel USB 4 Amp charger that I get from AT&T.   I carry 2 so I can charge iphone, ipad, this tablet and my 16000AH battery.  They run 25ish and barely bigger than the traditional square.

Joe_Miner

one of the things I'm planning to try is placing MP4's on a SD for my grandson to play -- for videos what SD do you go with?  Class 10?

Have you backed your Mini to an SD?  I'm wondering if I could put a 2011 connector on this and back it up to my server -- anyone try that?

Edited by JoeMiner

Joe_Miner

Backing up to micro SD -- so far so good :)

Joe_Miner

OK, success -- I have a image backup