RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Should we have a WHS Basics category?

AllToga

I was wondering if we should start a WHS basics category, or maybe a wiki style reference guide. I was thinking that it could contain content that we learn about WHS, that's not always published or well known.

For example:

1. When copying data to the pool (of more than 2 drives), WHS DE will put the data on the drive with the LEAST amount of free space, until it reaches it's full limit.

2. DE considers a drive to be full between 10 and 15 gb free.

3. When removing a drive, the WHS will not be accessible for the duration of the removal process. A 1tb drive can take between 12-36 hours to remove (I haven't verified #3, but was using it as an example)

Also the category could be split into WHS V1 and WHS Vail, so they can be compared.

Just a thought.

In the near future we will be showcasing a beginners section to WHS. I have a writer lined up that is skilled in this area and we have a few posts from other folks on this but if anyone wants to jump in let me know. It will be on the blog and not the forum though.

I couldn't agree more. Not sure if Dave wants to add a wiki and all that comes with maintaining such a piece.

I can confirm #3. Removing a 1TB drive from my 485 took around 5-6 hours and that was on a 94-95% full drive. There was nearly a revolt from the family during this time.

I couldn't agree more. Not sure if Dave wants to add a wiki and all that comes with maintaining such a piece.

I can confirm #3. Removing a 1TB drive from my 485 took around 5-6 hours and that was on a 94-95% full drive. There was nearly a revolt from the family during this time.

So removing a drive blocks all traffic to the WHS? That's what I thought.

In the near future we will be showcasing a beginners section to WHS. I have a writer lined up that is skilled in this area and we have a few posts from other folks on this but if anyone wants to jump in let me know. It will be on the blog and not the forum though.

I just hope the blog post can evolve and improve over time. I also understand that the forum isn't the best "forum" for this topic.

Yep! This is a great idea. I think a lot of people might be a hesitant to have a "Server" in their home. But if we can make a WHS 101 column like we discussed in Ustream, hopefully it would alleviate peoples fear of having a server.

Dave and I have been discussing it and hopefully we can start it up in the near future here.

I was wondering if we should start a WHS basics category, or maybe a wiki style reference guide. I was thinking that it could contain content that we learn about WHS, that's not always published or well known.

For example:

1. When copying data to the pool (of more than 2 drives), WHS DE will put the data on the drive with the LEAST amount of free space, until it reaches it's full limit.

2. DE considers a drive to be full between 10 and 15 gb free.

3. When removing a drive, the WHS will not be accessible for the duration of the removal process. A 1tb drive can take between 12-36 hours to remove (I haven't verified #3, but was using it as an example)

Also the category could be split into WHS V1 and WHS Vail, so they can be compared.

Just a thought.

Yep - for a 1TB drive, my system takes about 13 hours. Even longer if you watch the progress bar. I don't recommend that.

I also just confirmed that when WHS duplicates data, it looks for the drive with the most free space. This means that as a drive becomes full, it may no longer be the most full, so the duplication will switch to a different drive. This also will fill up the empty drives equally (space remaining).