RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  

Surface Pro 3 To External Display With Dock

Hi all,

I bought a dock for my SP3 the other day which is now taking place of my iPad and my desktop PC. I have an LG Ultrawide 29" running 1440p and have hooked up my SP3 dock to the display using a miniDP>DP cable.

The first time I docked the SP3, it refused to do anything over 1080p so eventually I figured out that if, when docked, I chose to ouput only to the external display it would run at high res. The LG sprung to life, displaying at full resolution and with pin-sharp text and graphics. Everything appeared to be scaled down to the larger display and I had oodles of scren real estate. In short, everything looked 1440p "NATIVE" and crystal clear.

The problem is that since that first docking, each subsequent time I dock it and output it to the LG the scaling looks really wrong. It looks like it had "scaled up" the whole display.. text is obviously no longer 29" sharp at all, it looks like cleartype gone a bit wrong. I should see 50+ cells horizontally in Excel, whereas now I appear to have far less horitzonal area to work with.... everything is simply "bigger" on the LG.

I have played around with the LG's controls/settings, trying the all the Surface's display settings/config and nothing I can do allows the LG to display scale properly to it's native resolution. I know it can do it because it did it correctly the first time I docked it. Any suggestions/ideas ????

AnthonyFear

Did you ever figure this out?

I think I ran into a similar issue.

I use 3 external displays.....I discovered that I had to set the hi-res screen as my main screen and disable the SP3s built-in screen. This has the added benefit of keeping the unit MUCH cooler the fans rarely kick in anymore!

Also the hi-res screen scales properly too. With SP3 screen enabled scaling was all weird on external screens.

* Note when undocked the built-in screen returns to normal without requiring any config changes - so it's a perfect solution for me.