RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows 8.1 Update 1 Lower Memory Requirements

WaynetheITGuy

WaynetheITGuy

I was wondering if anyone has rebuilt an windows 8 device to windows 8.1 update 1 and saw an performance increase. Specifically my son has a Dell Venue Pro and I have an original Surface Pro.

Thanks

Wayne

schoondoggy

In the feels like department, I have an older HP AIO with touch and I have run it with 4GB and 8Gb and have migrated through OS's: 

Windows 7 with 8GB feels like Windows 8 with 4GB and Windows 8.1 feels a bit faster.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• Dewain27
      By Dewain27
      I wanted to give a quick review of the Plugable UD-3000 USB 3.0 Docking Station in use with Surface Pro

The Plugable UD-3000 USB 3.0 Docking station can be leveraged by any USB 3.0 device, however I have purchased this for use with my Surface Pro.  I really enjoy the portability of my Surface Pro, however it is nice to rip the keyboard off and sit it on my desk and go dual monitor with full keyboard and mouse to rock out those Visio, Word, or Power Point documents.  This device can be bought at Amazon at the link below:

http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-UD-3000-Docking-2048x1152-Ethernet/dp/B008N06I2I?SubscriptionId=AKIAJ27KPV45VTL2XA5Q&tag=plugabltechno-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B008N06I2I

The docking station has the following ports:
      4 USB 2.0 Ports 2 USB 3.0 Ports 1 Headphone 1 Mic 1 DVI 1 10/100/100 Ethernet Port The device comes with converters for DVI to HDMI or SVGA.  It also comes with the USB 3.0 cable required to plug into your device (Surface Pro).  This is impressive as for the price this is a great deal.

I have mine plugged into a secondary monitor using the HDMI converter and am running a full 1080p screen along with my Surface Pro screen in the dual monitor extended mode.  I have seen no issues with video performance.  I wouldn't suggest that you try to play a game on this screen, but it performs well under typical scenarios.

The Ethernet port is working great and I am getting no issue with running at full 1000 Mbs.

Drivers for the device come down from windows update with no issue, however do take a few minutes to install.  Keep in mind the number of ports and devices this is installing so that is understandable.

The device is mostly shiny plasic finish, but looks nice sitting your desk.  The main issues you run into is that the USB and the power are on different sides of the Surface Pro and you still will need an extra power cable if you want to charge while docked.  This can be combersome if you don't do some simple cable management.  The other negative that I have is the size of the power plug of the device.  Unlike the Surface Pro, this device uses one of those huge power converters in the actual plug that can cause you to eat up several ports on a powerstip.  So, try to plan for the one on the end if you don't have one of the ones that accomodates this type of plug well.

Overall, I would give this a 9 out of 10.  It is a great device and works as expected.  There are some things like the power plug that irritate me, but hey it does its job and makes the Surface Pro an awesome desk machine.

Let me know if you guys have any questions about this device and I am happy to run any tests that you might want...

Dewain
    • TheJason
      By TheJason
      I've been successfully backing up the C: partition of my Surface Pro to my Server2012E for about a week now.  But, I haven't tried to restore it yet.  Has anybody tried this using a recovery boot usb key?  How well has it worked?
    • Loxodrome
      By Loxodrome
      Well, I have a Surface Pro (yes, the origional) and I upgraded to Windows 10.

Ever since I went to 10, The Surface wont stay asleep.  I put it to sleep, and close the cover, and throw it in my bag,  And the damn thing is burning hot when I get home.

Also in general, My Surface Pro just runs HOT, has a much shorter battery life, and seems to be having bower management issues........

Anyone else running old hardware like me?  And are you seeing issues with Windows 10 too??

-Jon

• truthsforme
      By truthsforme
      Will the Intel i5 processor used in the surface be able to handle photo editing software like adobe PhotoShop and lightroom? Currently, I'm using an Acer with an AMD e-350 processor and 6gb ram to do photo editing. It takes a little patience because of the rather slow performance. Will the surface pro be considered a step up in terms of performance compared to my Acer? Rough estimate, how much of a performance increase should I expect (2x faster etc.)?

I would hope that they made the surface pro with photographers in mind, why else include a display port as oppose to an HDMI port, lol.

Thanks, regards
    • Dewain27
      By Dewain27
      So, you went out and bought your Surface Pro or RT and you brought it home and thought this is awesome how small these are... Then you walk over to put it in your laptop bag and you are like "WOW this won't work!"  So, I jumped out looking for something that did not eat my Surface like a tiny dog biscuit to a great dane.

So, I found the solution that I was looking for...

Yes boys and girls it is a perfectly sized laptop bag for the Surface RT / Pro.  It is good to note that this thing not only perfectly fits the surface, but all of the other items you might want to bring.  Tons of pockets and zippers and such.

Oh and did I mention that I love the fact that this thing has an awesome orange interior that gives it a little character.  If you like it comes in black and orange as well.

The material is a smooth nylon-like material keeping it from having issues with getting a little wet and stain resistant.  I absolutely love this thing.  I would give some cons, but I can't find anything wrong with it.

Here is the link to allow you to go there now and buy this immediately.  I have had mine for months and I have to say there is nothing else out there that compares... (that I have seen)

http://www.amazon.com/CaseCrown-Horizontal-Messenger-Microsoft-Surface/dp/B009RV2BD2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363393738&sr=8-1&keywords=surface+bag

Happy shopping....

Oh... here is the link for it in black

http://www.amazon.com/CaseCrown-Horizontal-Messenger-Microsoft-Surface/dp/B009RV2EOI/ref=pd_cp_pc_0