RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Help and advice on first WHS build

i-bystander

So, I'm finally getting around to building my first WHS. I picked the parts for low power consumption, and would appreciate your thoughts on them. These are parts intended for different builds, but I figure I'd put them together for a WHS instead - here goes:

Case: Antec SOHO

Mobo: ZOTAC GF6100-E-E

CPU: AMD Sempron 140 (45W TDP)

RAM: 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800

HDD: 2x Seagate 1TB 7200 RPM (for now - plan on adding more shortly)

PSU: ThermalTake TR2 430W

No optical drive - I installed WHS and uninstalled the drive.

Thoughts:

1. As it stands with the above config, I'm seeing 65W at idle and about 80-85W when booting up... nowhere near the 30-35W at idle and 50W under load that I see all over the place. Is there a BIOS setting I need to tweak, or something else?

2. Reason I went with the Sempron is for low-power. If this is normal, I think I'd just swap the CPU out for an X2 since the power savings are minimal. I can then use the mobo/CPU for another build.

3. What are the essential add-ins? I have only tried out AutoExit.

4. What's the best/fastest way to move data into the WHS? I have a couple of NAS and a handful of external HDDs.

5. After getting the issues above all worked out, what to do with the stuff that the WHS replaces? I currently have a 2-bay D-Link DNS-323 with 2 x 1TB HDDs, a generic 400GB NAS, and a couple of 500GB externals.

More questions to come, hopefully I'd get some thoughts on the above before I add some more...

Thanks in advance!, and thanks to HSS for the 100th episode giveaway WHS disc that I'm finally putting to good use. :)

1. I'm not sure that AMD's CPUs compete with Intel's in the power effeciency category. In any case, 65W isn't all that bad. However, your PSU is not 80 PLUS certified, as far as I can tell. That can actually make a difference of up to 8-10W at idle.

3. Essential - BDBB + Grid Junction. Disk Management + Program Launcher are not necessarily essential but they are quite handy. Disk Management is now a paid addin, but it's definitely worth the money.

4. For the NAS, I'd just send the data across your network, assuming you have Gigabyte speeds. For the externals, you can hook them up to your WHS and RDP in to desktop and simply drag them to the appropriate folder shares via Windows Explorer. D:\Shares\

So, I'm finally getting around to building my first WHS. I picked the parts for low power consumption, and would appreciate your thoughts on them. These are parts intended for different builds, but I figure I'd put them together for a WHS instead - here goes:

Case: Antec SOHO

Mobo: ZOTAC GF6100-E-E

CPU: AMD Sempron 140 (45W TDP)

RAM: 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800

HDD: 2x Seagate 1TB 7200 RPM (for now - plan on adding more shortly)

PSU: ThermalTake TR2 430W

No optical drive - I installed WHS and uninstalled the drive.

Thoughts:

1. As it stands with the above config, I'm seeing 65W at idle and about 80-85W when booting up... nowhere near the 30-35W at idle and 50W under load that I see all over the place. Is there a BIOS setting I need to tweak, or something else?

2. Reason I went with the Sempron is for low-power. If this is normal, I think I'd just swap the CPU out for an X2 since the power savings are minimal. I can then use the mobo/CPU for another build.

3. What are the essential add-ins? I have only tried out AutoExit.

4. What's the best/fastest way to move data into the WHS? I have a couple of NAS and a handful of external HDDs.

5. After getting the issues above all worked out, what to do with the stuff that the WHS replaces? I currently have a 2-bay D-Link DNS-323 with 2 x 1TB HDDs, a generic 400GB NAS, and a couple of 500GB externals.

More questions to come, hopefully I'd get some thoughts on the above before I add some more...

Thanks in advance!, and thanks to HSS for the 100th episode giveaway WHS disc that I'm finally putting to good use. :)

That particular setup probably won't do much better. There are two things that are messing you up. For starters, that PS is rated at 65% efficiency which is very bad in today standards. Secondly is the use of those Seagate drives. You gain a bit of performance over the greens but loose in power savings. The spin up on many Seagates is close to 20 watts. I would reconsider future drive choices and go with a more power efficient version. If possible, return the PS you bought and buy a more efficient supply. There many good choices at a low cost that are 80-85%. That vintage of Thermaltake is also prone to a bit of noise.

As for the essential add-ins, that is tough question as it depends what you want to do. Here is my recommendation of what to get and what not to get. To caveast this as not to offend any developeers, this is based on my experiences with these addins across three servers.

Recommended

If you need offsite storage - Keepvault addin

If you are going to manage movies - MyMovies for WHS

If you have a UPS (and I hope you do) - Gridjunction

Backup database backup - BDBB

Stay away from these

Adminime

WHSTweet

Perfect Disk

As to moving data from NAS units, there is no painless way as most use a linux file system including the DNS boxes you have (as I have one of these as well). Someone may know of a better way but I did a straight copy and just waited forever. The DNS boxes are about 4x slower than you WHS. As for what to do with them, you can sell them or give them to charity or someone you know who can put it to use. I ended up using my DNS box for my security cameras and FTP as they are excellent at saving power and wont clog my WHS

Hope this helps.

Guest no-control

That single core sempron isn't really doing you any favors either. I would try to find an AMD "e" chip either a 4040/4050/5050 would be ideal or 210e would be much better choices.

Also would have to say stay away from timetraveler add-in in addition to the above mentioned.

@DVN Why would you need a defrag add-in for WHS?

@DVN Why would you need a defrag add-in for WHS?

I'm not sure you would. There was a time when I strongly believed that it improved streaming performance, i.e., cut out stuttering. I guess still do. I have PerfectDisk for WHS, courtesy of the HSS 100th podcast giveaway. I can't say as I've noticed any negative side-effects. So I asked pcdoc to explain why he's against it. I want to understand what other's think, especially if they have had personal experience with it, because in a way, I'm still evaluating.

Why's that? Just curious.

Lots of reasons. CPU drain, performance hit, sounds like a good plan but if you have more than three or four drives (I have 12) it is a non stop process that ends up being far more trouble than it is worth. Saw very little gain for the constant drive pounding day and after day. Probably cool if you have 1 or 2 drives but it gets exponentially more time consuming and problematic as you drive base increases. This is a no go for me and have very little positive things to say about this addin as I did not have a great experience with it on either server.

Lots of reasons. CPU drain, performance hit, sounds like a good plan but if you have more than three or four drives (I have 12) it is a non stop process that ends up being far more trouble than it is worth. Saw very little gain for the constant drive pounding day and after day. Probably cool if you have 1 or 2 drives but it gets exponentially more time consuming and problematic as you drive base increases. This is a no go for me and have very little positive things to say about this addin as I did not have a great experience with it on either server.

Gotcha. I'm on the fence as to whether to continue running this addin, so I appreciate the explanation. Thanks.