RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Very Well Written Article

schoondoggy

Ironically I always liked RC cola....but he is spot on.  I know a lot of people are giving grief to people like Joanna Stern for the HTC One review, but I thought they were fair overall.  It is a great phone, but it does not mean you should buy it.  I only recommend a WP in very specific use cases.  If I look at their iPhone or Android phone and see what they use, how can I tell them to buy something I know they will get frustrated with.  

For me the phone has come a long way.  8.1 (and even better with update) is a great core OS, but it does not change the fact that it lost market share last quarter.  At least before it was gaining slowly.  The next 3-6 months are huge with other OEM phones coming out.  If people don't buy in now, I don't know what the future will look like.  

I like RC as well.

In another thread I referenced my issue with apps. I love the way WP works, but I don't want to carry two devices so SmartThings can send me alerts.

You said it very well a few podcasts ago. If Microsoft wants WP to succeed they need to through money at key apps.

My sister was buying a new phone. She liked my WP and wanted to get the Icon. I told her not to. Why. Every Wednesday night she plays in a pool/billiards league. The bars they play at have trivia and music games you play with your smart phone. They don't have a WP app. This may seem like a minor thing, but I know my sister, this would have made her mad.

Oh I know about the issues of not having Touch Tunes on my Windows Phone.  I have been mocked for it many times! I I actually do miss it when I don't have it......every good dive bar has a jukebox, and most now have Touch Tunes.  I have really started to lose patience, and every time I hear MS or their minions tell me the app gap has closed I want to scream.  On my MotoX today I have used Cal and Any.do more than any other app.....why? because they work, and work well.  I know I will be getting a new phone in the next few weeks, the Moto turns 1......I will look closely at the new iPhone, and the new Moto.  

I have my 1520, and keep a live sim in it...so I still hold out a faint hope that RC cola can make it.

I like RC as well.

In another thread I referenced my issue with apps. I love the way WP works, but I don't want to carry two devices so SmartThings can send me alerts.

You said it very well a few podcasts ago. If Microsoft wants WP to succeed they need to through money at key apps.

My sister was buying a new phone. She liked my WP and wanted to get the Icon. I told her not to. Why. Every Wednesday night she plays in a pool/billiards league. The bars they play at have trivia and music games you play with your smart phone. They don't have a WP app. This may seem like a minor thing, but I know my sister, this would have made her mad.

I think MS has been dealing with a perception issue since the stupid mac vs. PC ads. Those ads threw so much fud on the wall around Vista and MS did nothing to counter it. I think Windows 8 is a victim of miss perception.  I am a WP user and I am starting to believe it's over. I like the OS much better than Droid and IOS but the biggest reason it makes me depressed is that I think as consumers we need three strong smart phone OSs. I just don't want a day where we are beholden to only Apple or Google. I can't believe this market isn't big enough for three OSs.

I think MS has been dealing with a perception issue since the stupid mac vs. PC ads. Those ads threw so much fud on the wall around Vista and MS did nothing to counter it. I think Windows 8 is a victim of miss perception.  I am a WP user and I am starting to believe it's over. I like the OS much better than Droid and IOS but the biggest reason it makes me depressed is that I think as consumers we need three strong smart phone OSs. I just don't want a day where we are beholden to only Apple or Google. I can't believe this market isn't big enough for three OSs.

The Mac vs the PC ads worked not really because of Vista....but because OEM makers found a new way to make money.  Fill it with bloatware and crap.  Those machines were not even usable.  Buy a machine with 2GB of RAM (decent back then), and nothing runs.  PC's became a place where you sold your hardware with zero margin and picked up money by screwing your customers.  In the end this is on Microsoft for allowing it.  If you have a chance listen to John Gruber's the Talk Show podcast.  A few episodes ago he had on Ben Thompson who really did a good job on this topic.  Pretty sure he used to work at MS as well.  Really good conversation.

I do think there will be a 3rd ecosystem, and WP might be it....however I don't think the third player is going to be playing where us tech people like to be.  Instead it will be on the old feature phones and in emerging markets.