RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
NateDawg1148

My router Sucks

NateDawg1148

Hey all,

I wanted to post in the hardware section, but it does not apply.

I have a DIR625 which has given me nothing but problems since I bought it a few years ago. Our main concern is that it drops hardwire and wireless connections all the time and requires a full reboot.

For Christmas, I will be buying a new router but would like to poll the audience to see which routers they are using without problem. I have always had a dlink and am comfortable with the product line and advanced configuration. I was thinking about the DIR655 but am really open to suggestions. Lets pertend that price is not an issue (but it is to a degree). Also the DIR 4500 (gaming router) looks good too.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I want a turn on a leave it device with a high wife factor. Right now she and the router are causing me grief.

I am currently ruunning multiple cat5, 2 x DS, 1 x DSi a Wii, 2 blackberrys and one N laptop on wireless (When I turned off the BGN and went to straight G it helped a little but not 100%)

Thank You for any insight.

Nate

AllToga

My thoughts are to use a Router and a Switch combination. That way you can get the router you want without having to worry about the number of ports. Leave the ports to the switch, and route all of your Cat5 connections to the switch. This takes one variable out of the equation in the search for a router.

usacomp2k3

My thoughts are to use a Router and a Switch combination. That way you can get the router you want without having to worry about the number of ports. Leave the ports to the switch, and route all of your Cat5 connections to the switch. This takes one variable out of the equation in the search for a router.

I agree 100%.

pcdoc

I agree with using a switch as they eliminate problems. If you still may want to replace your router. The DIR 655 and DIR 825 are both excellent routers. I have the 655 and have loved it for the last few years. Once you get rid of the UPnP you are good to go. I bought my daughter an 825 because she is streaming video at the further points of a 5000 square foot house from upstairs to downstairs and it works like champ using the dual bands and teamed up with the DAP-1522 bridge/access points. If you do not want the dual bands go for the DIR655.

Dave

Agree all around. I had a b/g netgear before my 655 and it would drop my RDP sessions in the house all the time. I now have the 655 as the router and two other AP's. One is a DAP-1522 which I hardly use and the other is the old standby WRT54G Linksys.

Citezein

I just went through router-upgrade hell, so I can also give some advice.

I had an old, reliable WRT54GL Linksys running DD-WRT and all was good, until I accidentally broke the antenna off of it. Then I purchased a WAP4410 as my "N" access point and used the WRT54GL just for routing. While my new access point worked for a solid year, it never gave me true "N" throughput, so I decided to upgrade to a new all in one device, the Linksys E2000, which Newegg had on sale for $59.

Unfortunately, all of the new Linksys E devices are designed such that they can easily overheat. Mine did within a matter of minutes. For the first five minutes, it worked great and I was connecting wirelessly at "N" speeds. As soon as the heat built up, the wireless would either drop to 1Mbps or drop out entirely. Back to Newegg it went.

Finally, after reading a bunch of reviews, I headed to my local Staples, $15 coupon in hand, and bought a Netgear N600/WNDR3700/WNDR37A (all the same thing). It has been running extremely well for several days, with no sign of heat issues. It also has some great features like a separate wireless network just for guests, and gigabit ports.

NateDawg1148

Thanks everyone for the posts.

I was leaning towards the 655 and I think I will pick it up this week. Its onsale for $89.

Thx again for the info on the other products and the tip on the switches (I already have 3 in the house)

Nate

geek-accountant

My vote would be to build your own. Take an old PC and install pfSense. Better yet, get a little better hardware, install Xenserver and then install pfSense as the router and Untangle as the UTM. I know going this route is a bit more complicated, but I love the ability to have several version of my router (pfSense with and without Untangle, pfSense with various settings plus some other router software - ie Smoothwall) as a VM. All I have to do it shut one down, start another and bam, I have a whole new router.

Plus, I have copied the hard drive used for the router onto another drive as backup in case something happens to the first one. pfSense has been pretty rock solid for me and the reporting/information given by the software is better than any router I have ever used.

If the Xenserver VM solution is more than you want to tackle, installing pfSense directly on a computer is pretty easy. Just put in the CD you burned from the downloaded file and follow the onscreen directions.

SabatonFan80

I've had a DIR-655 and it's been pretty solid for the most part. At one point I thought I was having issues (turned out to be unrelated) and bought a Netgear wndr3700 (which I absolutely HATED!). I went back the DIR-655 since I found it worked better than the WNDR3700.

dvn

I'm using a Netgear WNR3500 and it is annoying the heck out of me. Every few days, I have to power it off for a minute because I can't connect to my WHS. I can ping the WHS, sure, but cannot RDP or access via the console. This router is only about a year old, so I'm not too impressed with that.