RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Additional Surface Cooling?

hertsjoatmon

I've realised after a few weeks with this machine that it really runs hot when gaming. I know the heat isnt an issue as the processor throttles to keep the temps at 80deg. I wondered if there were other ways to improve the cooling efficiency of the machine with out impacting the portability too much.

I have a USB fan plugged in to my dock facing the back of the machine to increase the airflow over the hotspots as a starting point, but now im considering attatching 2 heatsinks to the areas bellow the 2 exaust fans to draw more of the heat out and increase the rate of heat dispersion. The surface of the surface seems to get to about 55deg. Is this hot enough that a heat sink would make much of a difference? The ones im looking at are 40 x 60 x 6 mm. So they wont stick out the back to much but they would increase the thermal conductive mass and my theory is that it would therefor draw out more heat from the processors.

Thoughts?

I would say just don't go outside and game on it in 100 degree weather or cover the vents, Ive tried all kinds of games-productivity programs and never over-heated the pro 2. Probably the hottest ive felt was while charging the device AND gaming at the same time.

Thanks, the Pro can't overheat due to the CPU throttling that keeps the processor speed down and thus the temperature. I've found a solution to stop it from throttling though. I have undervolted a moderate amount (the processor didnt take to much of an undervolt with out crashing my machine) and have limited the turbo boost. Now I have a CPU that sits around 75 degrees when running full throttle and peaks around 79 degrees. Although my Max processor performance is reduced the average performance is about the same. For gaming this is important as it means I get a constant frame rate rather than one that switches from high to low as the processor goes from turbo to throttled.

My bench mark score is only marginally effected. Overall I am happy with the result. It wasn't the heat I was worried about but the knock on effect it had with the processor management.