RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
JoshB

Surface Pro 3 I7 512 For Art

JoshB

I have been seeing a lot of bad reviews on the Surface Pro 3 and it is really tearing me up. I love the look and the possibilities. I want a good ultra book with a full OS that I can use to do some doodling and 3D art with Maya and ZBrush. Have any of you ran into throttling issues in these programs by some chance someone here has used a SP3 for these things.

Any recommendations otherwise if the SP3 does look like a bust?

SurfaceProArtist

I personally think concerns about throttling are overblown. Please point me to some of these negative opinions. The SP3 is plenty powerful enough to use Maya and ZBrush.

• Like 1

JoshB

Thanks for the response. Yeah I have been thinking the same thing. I have seen several videos of people doing load tests and they show a significant throttling of the tablet. One video a guy shows 3 side by side videos with stock, low voltage and stock w/box fan. The unit was completely stable with the box fan. 

A couple of Surface Geeks Pod casts ago when he sent his i5 back, Surface Geeks talked about how the throttling was bad. There are also a couple recent posts in the Surface Pro 3 Section of the forums with some people talking about throttling. 

I think I am going to go ahead and go through with the purchase of the i7 in September when I get my Bonus. Should be able to provide some info to the forums about how it performs with Maya, ZBrush and the such :)

Edited by JoshB

SurfaceProArtist

Unless you absolutely need the extra storage, I'd save some cash and go with the 8GB i5.

JoshB

I went with the i7 256GB w/8GB. Liking it so far. I was impressed with the amount of pen sensitive levels in photoshop. I wasn't expecting to see that much change in variation in pressure. It is annoying that CS6 doesn't have working tablet controls (pinch to zoom, two finger pan, etc.). I have only had it for a day now, so I have only messed around with installing things. Going to install Manga Studio 5 tonight at some point, and Art Rage 4.

SurfaceProArtist

Manga Studio 5 is the bee's knees on the Surface Pro 3. Make sure you set the interface to Tablet mode. Let me know if you need any tips for getting the most out of it.

• Like 1

Morgan

The Surface Pro 3's heating issues (if they ever existed) may have been addressed by last Tuesday's firmware updates. Though I do not have the i7, but the i5, I have noticed that the fan turns on more frequently since the firmware updates. This may be due the use of feed-forward cooling (i.e. the cooling activates in anticipation of increased heating). In any event don't get obsessed with heat issues. I had a 2008 Macbook Pro whose fan ran every time the CPU got busy and it got hot to the touch. However my wife still uses it, and it still doesn't show any signs of burning out. The Surface Pro 3 may be capable of taking more heat than some people give it credit for. As far as CPU throttling is concerned judge it by how your software performs instead of watching CPU-Z TV for hours.

• Like 1