RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
israguard

Comments Heard At Bestbuy

israguard

Good morning,

Was at Bestbuy yesterday massaging and drooling over the SP3. I have the SP2 and I love it. But the SP3 is just a killer.. Anyhoo..

Young man who works at store and I start chatting.. He tells me that Microsoft are losing big bucks on each/every unit they produce and in his opinion the SP3 will be the last one they put out, as far as new models are concerned.

This is obviously all hypothetical.. Just curious what some of you thought as I know some of you are very well versed in the tech world.

These units aren't cheap and when you're done with all the extras. You're easily at the $1500 +++ mark. Compared to a simple laptop being sold 10 feet away.. i7 with a 1tb hard drive for $600. No, there is no comparison to me, but to the average consumer?

I welcome your kind opinions/thoughts.

Rgds, Shawn

CommonTek

I don't think MS has intended the Surface Pro line for consumers as much as they hope enterprises adopt it as next gen laptop replacements.  Obviously they would love consumers to flock to it but I think their true focus is business.  That being said, the Pro 3 is the first version that I think fits business needs and is the first to truly warrant real consideration by enterprise IT teams.  That means, we probably won't know the answer for another 2-3 years as enterprises work through life cycle replacements/upgrades for current hardware.  So, to me, I think we are likely to see at least two more Surface Pro revisions before we know it's fate.   

FinsUpDNC

I do think they will stick with the Surface Pro line, but either way it should not really matter if you like the device. This runs like any other laptop running windows, so you won't have the issues that RT has in regards to an ecosystem.

mtalinm

I'd say there's a good chance satya dumps both surface and Nokia in the next 2. Years. He is not a hardware guy.

Morgan

First off I'd like to make clear that this is my opinion only so take it as that.

I think with the Surface Pro 3 Microsoft has perfected their version of a laptop-tablet hybrid. If other consumers like it as much as I do, Microsoft will keep making it. For me it strikes the right balance between performance and portability. As far as I'm concerned any further redesign would compromise the design. At this point all the Surface design team should do is tweak it, like improving Bluetooth connectivity, jumpy cursor and power management., all of which may be Windows issues. (And if so all Windows devices would benefit from their resolution.)

Anyway to make a long story short I predict there'll be at least one more model in the Surface Pro line.

CommonTek

There will be one or two more versions for sure; at least I would imagine that to be the roadmap at this point.   I truly believe however they need to see enterprise adoption.  If they don't see enterprise adoption; then I don't see the product surviving long term.  I say that because for most people when not at work; they have little use for legacy type applications and an IPAD, Android Tablet, or Chromebook will get the job done at home.   I used to scoff at Chromebooks; however I have recently been looking at some options for my step daughter for school (High School).  The school is invested in Chrome/Google Apps, and it just makes sense to have a Chromebook.  I also felt that a strong case for Chromebooks was made by Jeff Jarvis on TWIG a few weeks ago (give it a listen; I think it was about 4-5 weeks ago now).  

My long,  meandering point, is that there are other options out there that meet the needs for the majority of people away from the office; so for MS they better get adoption in the office in order for the SP line to survive past the next 2-3 years.   

WolfJT

at the end of year business review MS announced they see them making money off the Surface product in a couple of years. They wouldn't have said that if they were planning on ending the product line. Who knows what the future holds. Think about Samsung, they make a ton of hardware that you know doesn't sell. I'm sure they are losing a ton of money on the smart watches and most phones that don't have the name galaxy and note.

Harryberner

I think surface has to survive whether they lose money or not. Microsoft needs to make high end devices that show what windows and all of their services can really do together on a great piece of hardware. Without it, whenever Microsoft tries something new, OEMs can just ignore it and keep going with what they have. They need surface to show them how it's done.

Morgan

Actually Microsoft could do what Google did with the Nexus line: They could designate one OEM to design and build each Surface to Microsoft's specifications.