RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
mtalinm

Want To Buy I7, Scared To Buy I7

Dave

Question: Why I don't have permission to edit my own post? :( In my previous post I wrote "issues" and the handwriting recognition changed to "uses" :o

You can edit a post for several minutes after but it locks after that.  Otherwise, folks would be changing posts all the time and it would confuse the conversation for later readers.  You can quote yourself and make the edit or PM a mod for an edit. I made an edit to what I think you were meaning to say.  If that's not correct just PM me and I'll change it back.

Dave

mtalinm

well I took my sp3 and dock and power cover to the msft store in frustration today, expecting a refund. turns out some of my updates had installed in a "faulty" manner (they couldn't say why), so the local tech reinstalled them by hand. now dock is working and power cover is working.

too early to tell whether this has helped with the runaway fan or the intermittent slowdowns, but I'll give it another week.

Dave

Well that's good news!  How do we tell if they installed in a "faulty manner?"  

mtalinm

They could not explain why or how. But boy it helped. Not only do dock and power cover work, battery drain is gone. In my bag for 24 hours and lost only 12%

Also have not seen return of the intermittent slowdown. Fan seems a bit better but still want to wait another day or two before passing judgment on that.

mtalinm

Well the fan still runs all the time and the corner gets crazy hot even when just running the metro browser. This POS is going back next week.

Now the question is whether to get an i5 or revert to an SP2.

Morgan

Don't get obsessed with the heat. I had a McBook Pro many years ago which ran hot every time I ran flash, but it ran. And that's what matters. Your unit may tolerate a lot maore heat than you give it credit for. Plus vacuum the fan slots regularly to keep the cooling mechanism at maximum efficiency.

pfinter

thank you SurfaceGeek. actually I am running long statistical analyses that can take several minutes, so it is not "quick hits" unfortunately. I am glad if the i7 spins up the fan less than the i5, though others have said it is worse.

August is definitely the month for incentives! I'm an educator & so would buy from MSFT store for their $150 discount, also because their customer service is unparalleled.

I did remove the recovery image...but then needed it, oops. as for microSD card, I do have a 64G which would in theory help me bridge until the spring, but I like having all my files backed up in the cloud and to my knowledge none of the major services (onedrive, dropbox, or sugarsync) plays nicely with removable media :-(

I have both an Surface RT and a Nokia 2520.  I was able to point the drive where I copy out oneDrive files locally to the microSD card. Works great.  You have to reformat the microSD card to NTFS first. Other than that, no issues.

mtalinm

well, swapped my i7 for another last night. MSFT tech was nice enough about it. hope this one runs cooler, though we'll see.

callihan44

the I-7 heat issue will be worse, should have waited for broadwell or maybe created more air flow with more vent area. When they get this fixed I will retire my sp2 but until then no way

mtalinm

i think they did what they could given the chassis. my guess is that they developed it with Broadwell in mind but then given the delays in Broadwell they panicked and built the fan setup instead.

it would be beautiful indeed if they put a Core M chip in here with a bigger battery. oh wow.