RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
mtalinm

Want To Buy I7, Scared To Buy I7

mtalinm

hi there, I'm a generally satisfied SP2 user but am running out of disk space (256) and so have been looking at the i7/512 SP3. obviously there is a lot to like about the thinner/lighter chassis with the bigger screen. but...

I bought an i5 on launch day and found it to be really buggy, so I took it back after 10 days. worst thing was that the noisy fan spun up while doing normal Office work. I figured part of that was teething problems and that a few firmware updates would fix the problems I saw. (I needed a bigger disk anyway).

but the reviews of the i7 have been disturbing. I note that MSFT did not sample professional reviewers an i7, only an i3 (to AnandTech), which makes me think they have something to hide. moreover, numerous folks including the head SurfaceGeek here have complained about heat & throttling issues. I even saw a hilarious video where some guy plugged in a USB fan to cool his SP3.

and then Intel formally unveiled the Core M processor on Monday. MSFT has to be working on a fanless SP4 with this, probably in the same chassis with a bigger battery but who knows maybe thinner still. my disk-space issues are such that I'm not sure I can wait until spring though.

I suppose I could buy the thing and return it if it is a disaster. anyone think the i7 is a safe bet? I do mostly Office but occasionally high-end statistical work which would benefit in theory from the quicker processor (if not throttled). not a gamer.

Dave

I think if you are doing quick hits on the processor you'll be fine with the i7.  I don't know what it is but my general feel is the i7 and i3 are performing better than the i5 in regards to the throttling issue.  You could pick one up and experiment with undervolting too.  I've not been an advocate of that but a lot of people are doing it.

Are you in the States? Staples still has that $100 off coupon online.

Have you considered moving some files to a microSD card to free up some room?  How about removing the recovery image?

ctitanic

Unfortunately I have to say that I have seen more users reporting heat issues with i7 than i5. Performance wise and due to this heat issues the Performance gain against the i5 is not that much.

Edited by SurfaceGeek
issues to users edit

mtalinm

thank you SurfaceGeek. actually I am running long statistical analyses that can take several minutes, so it is not "quick hits" unfortunately. I am glad if the i7 spins up the fan less than the i5, though others have said it is worse.

August is definitely the month for incentives! I'm an educator & so would buy from MSFT store for their $150 discount, also because their customer service is unparalleled.

I did remove the recovery image...but then needed it, oops. as for microSD card, I do have a 64G which would in theory help me bridge until the spring, but I like having all my files backed up in the cloud and to my knowledge none of the major services (onedrive, dropbox, or sugarsync) plays nicely with removable media :-(

ctitanic

Question: Why I don't have permission to edit my own post? :( In my previous post I wrote "issues" and the handwriting recognition changed to "uses" :o

mtalinm

Well I traded in my trusty SP2 8/256 for an i7/256. Not sure it was a good move. The fan comes on all the time when doing simple stuff. Yuck.

Maybe I will trade it for an i5, since the disk space is the same. ctitanic no need to say I-told-you-so.

ctitanic

It's just sad.

JoshB

I am sitting in the same boat. I want to buy the 512 i7 because I want the device to last a long time. I want to use it for General use and for doing 3D art work and modeling. I have been getting more disappointed the more I read on the SP3. It's so light and pretty! I WANT IT!... but the throttling urgh.

mtalinm

do you have no self-restraint?

JoshB

When it comes to tech, not really.

• Like 2