RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
artgenius89

Cursor Is Jumping In Photoshop

artgenius89

Hello All! I have been having a small problem when using photoshop. When I am drawing with my hand rested on the screen, sometimes the cursor jumps towards the bottom of the screen. I find this a little odd because this doesnt happen in One Note. I dont remember this happening and being a problem several weeks ago but it happen quite often now. 

Is anyone else having this problem? 

Im not sure if its a problem with the tablet or photoshop. I still have a few days to return it and swap it for a new one at the MS Store. 

DanL

I realize you may have figured this out and/or returned the Surface already.  For what it's worth I have noticed a little slow-down/cursor jumping when the Surface is under heavy work load.  In my case I found out that windows 8 was surreptitiously downloading updates and when I switched the settings to alert me when they were available instead of automatically downloading it cleared up the occaisional cursor-jerking.  I've noticed that the pen/touch right-click settings can cause some jerkiness if the hold-to-right-click is turned off.

Mine is Surface Pro 3 i7 256GB.  I use mainly illustrator and a little bit of Photoshop and Artrage.  Smooth as butter when I'm not multitasking too many things.  WMP+illustrator is okay, but if I try to download large files or install a major program in the background there is minor lag and occaisional cursor jump.

SurfaceProArtist

I've never made a correlation between background activity and cursor jumping, but one of the first things I do when I unbox a Windows device is to turn off automatic updates. I always set my systems to check for updates and notify me. Of course, with this setting, you must be diligent about installing your updates as quickly as possible so that you don't inadvertently leave your device vulnerable.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• draa
      By draa
      Hello everyone! 

Did some research and decided to purchase a surface pro 2 over a cintiq companion. I wanted something portable and more casual and I'm hoping this will fulfill my needs. Hopefully will arrive in a day or two !

Sorry if this seems like a silly question, but I'm assuming everyone puts a screen protector on their Surface. Is the screen easily prone to scratches using the included stylus? Any recommendations on which ones I should look out for since there are so many? I noticed the Microsoft store sells the privacy and self-healing incipios. Are there any that would somehow interfere with the sensitivity to the stylus input...?

Any chance that...an old wacom graphire 3 tablet pen would work with these guys, what exactly makes the pen compatible? The driver? 

I didn't buy a keyboard with mine yet but I was leaning towards the type cover 2, since I really didn't like the lack of actual keys on the touch cover. I heard that they will be releasing a "power cover"? Which is suppose to help with battery life, how bad/good is the battery life at the moment? Any of you looking to invest in one? $199.00 is pretty steep. 

Apologies, I know it's a lot of questions, but I appreciate any input!

• Tatious
      By Tatious
      Hey all,
      I turn to you becuase I have a serious issue with color banding. I've seen fixes with this by sorting out preferences in the Intel graphics menu- but I have no idea how to pull this up or if I need to install special drivers to do so.
      I've been trying to paint and ANY darker shades just equal banding blobs. It's awful!
      https://twitter.com/Tatious/status/450896948745105408 for reference.. and don't even get me started on using any shade of black.

Have you all encountered this? What was your fix?
    • reiaya
      By reiaya
      i just bought a 64gb surface pro 2, as it was the only available where I live, and reads all the opinions about it been fantastic. Im mainly a mac user but well i say: so many good reviews. I worked in Win 7 a yeae ago because I read win 8 was having problems, but what the hell now I have 8.1 and the errors are supposedly corrected right?

so in ios is really strange to see an app freeze or the whole Os to freeze when clicking.. but in windows..that seems a daily thing if I overclick some app or window in explorer, and is driving me nuts...

why do I over click? seems I dont know how to calibrate the double clic quickness oor mayhaps I'm doing something really wrong since Im not use to win8 ormaybe is a bug?

so here my problem, I was testing illustrator (i installed the wacom feel driver since I also use psd) and I use the hack for turning the Ui into an acceptable size...that was posted in the tips section.

I opened the color guide, and for some reason if I use my foam size finger I can pick the color, but if I use my stylus, I click and seems selected...but it doesn't. so I click again and seems to pick another colour but didn't bring it into my object... and so is when I realize I need to double click, but no! so I click it like more than thrice or more and illustrator freezes, never picked up the color and so I finished cliĉking it with my finger. but I think, wait! It needs to work with the stylus too right? and I have change the settings of the wacom feel driver, about the speedness of double clik, but nothing changes! and then illustrator shut down unexpectedly "too much overclicking"
      same happens when trying to open a folder in win explorer....the ui is so small still that i rather use my stylus than my enormous finger, but again! the double click is a pain in the ass and never opens my folder till I use my giant finger! and suddenly I over click again too many times with the stylus and my Os freezes!

someoneee help, I dont want to start hating my new toy! is it the wacom driver ? or the native or what? is it justme? noo I dont lose thepatience that fast so don't think as me clicking so frenetically without waiting the results! 

also the windows store apps turned out to be crappy versions of the ios store. but well I have the whole windows 8 to run tumblr or pinterest right? like I dont really need Tunein for hearing the radio (win store version is crappy) if I can just google the station by itself or open my tumblr via chrome...etc.
    • reiaya
      By reiaya
      does anybody witj illustrator cs6 using the default stylus has the same problem as me, of the stylus never releasing? I zoom in, make an square and releas to see an specific part of my drawing... but for some reason my stylus nevé release, and so continues zoom in in and in and in.... until I select another tool, making my zoom tool rather unusable. someone help!
    • Handson
      By Handson
      Artdock was my savior on the surface pro 1. It made all things possible for intuitive interaction with 2D/3D art apps. It's unfortunate that it doesn't work on the Surface 3, as so far it's my dream device.

It was suggested that we try "toolbar creator" to replace some of the Autohotkey tools that worked on Surface Pro 1 and 2. That said, it's still does not function as artdock once did. 

Let's ignore for a moment whether certain modifier/click/pen combinations are used for specific actions in certain specific art applications. Thus speaking purely in terms of functionality; I just want to clarify a few things...

What worked on old Surface Pro...
      Using autohotkey/artdock to create a virtual button (or something similar) on the surface pro 1 and 2, it allowed the user to have both finger and pen on the screen and register their action in combination  Is this correct? That sure seems like what I experienced. Thus allowing me to have a true virtual keyboard that worked in sync with a pen. 

Note, when I say virtual keyboard, I'm not just generically saying virtual buttons. I'm saying virtual buttons that played nicely with simultaneous interaction via pen input. No unintuitive toggling, etc. 

What doesn't work on Surface Pro 3...
      On the surface pro 3 you cannot have both pen and finger in combination. The pen overrides touch. Is that the root problem?

People have been saying Ntrig is the issue, is this true? Or is it an issue on the Microsoft side? I remember reading that Microsoft had to custom code a number of things to get wacom working properly with the Surface as they desired. Is it possible they simply were not as thorough with Ntrig implementation?

This toolbar-creator script is certainly rad. Love the customization aspects and the flexibility. But all of that doesn't fix the root problem that worked so smoothly in the old artdock/autohotkey tools. The fact that pen and touch played nicely in combination.

What is technically preventing functionality that allows touch/pen to work in unison. Is the problem with Autohotkey? Microsoft? Ntrig? I wonder if people are just a little to quick to presume that N-trig is the issue simply because it is not Wacom. 

Are there other programmable "virtual keyboard' options that I may be overlooking?

Very much appreciate any feedback.