RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
ETTurbo

Usb Dvd Drive

ETTurbo

When trying to install office 2007 on my Surface Pro 3 from a USB DVD drive I keep getting the following error.

Setup Error
Setup cannot find the required setup controller file. Either there was a network error, an error reading from the CD, DVD, or other installation media, or a problem with the package you downloaded.

I have been able to install Office from the same USB DVD drive on my Surface Pro 1 and on my desktop computer, I know it is not an issue with the disk drive or the disk.

The drive acts like it is connecting and disconnecting from the computer. I've tried updating drivers but windows tells me the drivers are current. and I have restarted my computer several times.

Any help would be great!

Thanks,

Turbo

ETTurbo

Well as soon as I posted about this, I found a solution. Apparently the SP3 does not output enough power through the USB port to run a DVD drive that does not have an additional power source.

Luckily I had an old y-splitter USB cable and a USB extension cable. I was able to use this and the power adapter from the surface pro one to get enough power to the DVD drive.

I originally plugged the DVD drive directly into the SP3 and the power block that was powering the SP3, but it still wouldn't work. So I pulled out the power block for my SP1. Since this wasn't powering anything at the moment I figured it may work, and it did!

Anyway, what a mess of wires to get the DVD drive to work, and kinda disappointing to find out that the USB drive cannot power external devices.

But still love my SP3, the thing is a great machine and definitely replaced my laptop!

• Like 1

ctitanic

Unfortunately the SP3 does not have enough Juice to power an external DVD.

Morgan

The next time try to connect the DVD drive through a powered USB hub.

I bet that'll make this whole problem go way.

In any case, I'd also like to mention at this point that I can plug USB 3.0

HDD with no performance issues. So maybe, just maybe, the USB 3.0

port on your Surface is defunct.

callihan44

wow, didn't know the sp3 wont power a usb dvd drive. Ive used one with my sp2 several times, an LG drive

Morgan

I didn't say that it couldn't power a DVD drive ut a powered hub makes the question whether it can or not irrelevant. Plus it avoids excessive power drain (and unnecessary heating).

I merely sugested a simple and inexpensive way to deal with your problem.

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk