RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Dave

Anyone In This Forum Picked Up The Core I3 Or The I7?

Dave

Hey Guys,

Has anyone picked up an i3 or i7?  I'm curious if you are liking it or having any issues.  Let me know!

surfacenexus

yes

Ryu

My friend got an i3 (I convinced him to). He is likeing it so far, but it is also his first time with Windows 8, so I am not sure of issues he may have with it as of yet. It doesn't perform as well as the i5, obviously, but it does pretty well.

Tcdotcom

My i7 just arrived in the mail yesterday.  So far so good.  I upgraded from the original Surface Pro so it's almost impossible to compare the two.  This thing blows the original Surface out of the water.  I'm trying to put it through it's paces to see if I run into the same issues that were talked about in the last podcast about it gearing down when hot.  I haven't had that issue yet.  I played Portal 2 at native resolution and the highest detail levels.  I had the game run through a projector as a second screen and was playing with a wireless Xbox controller.   I also played Age of Empires for a bit at highest detail also with wireless mouse.  Having a few hundred units on the screen at one time didn't slow it down at all.  I'd be curious to know what it was running at though because the fan was just humming by the end. It's definitely not silent, but it is super quiet.  

I'm blown away so far with the quality of this machine!

mtalinm

so far quite disappointed in my i7. overheats routinely and fan is on frequently even while doing routine things. battery drains 5-10% per hour in "sleep" mode. won't charge in dock (could be broken dock). will probably return for i5.

CBRacerX

Have the i7 512GB for about a week.  No overheating issues but have not pushed it much yet.  Still setting up for my preferences but it is a winner overall so far.

• Like 1

Vulcan

I have the i7 512....I had a ton of blue screens the first week then there was a firmware update and it seems to be fixed. My only remain issue is that I can not display video to my external monitor using the minidisplay port from the dock.....It works find when connected to the minidisplay port on the surface itself. I want it to wrok from the dock so that I don't have to unhook the cable all the time.