RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
callihan44

Americans Don't Want Small Windows Tablets, Says Largest Pc Maker

schoondoggy

When I hear a statement like that from Lenovo, I am reminded of a survey I was give while flying on United Airlines about 20 years ago. All of the questions where about legroom, food, boarding and carry on space. All good topics. Unfortunately, the answers were multiple choice for each and were comparing to other airlines.:

A. Better than other airlines

B. The same as other airlines

C. Worse than other airlines

For me, the answer to every question was B, but instead of comparing to each other. They should have been asking me what I wanted.

Lenovo's first try at a small Windows tablet was unreliable. Their second attempt, was missing certain features.

Although the Dell Venue 8 Pro is not putting up Android or iPad numbers it is doing fairly well.

Try this:

High resolution 8" screen 4:3 aspect ratio

Active digitizer with stylus.

32GB-64GB

Micro USB3 port

Micro HDMI or DP

micro SD slot

WolfJT

There are a few problems with small windows tablets.  Who wants to run a full blown Windows OS with only 64 Gig of storage? The screen is too small to do anything productive in the desktop. Windows on ARM is the best platform on a 8 inch tablet. Low overhead, and the RT OS can be productive if you want it to be. But the main use for a tablet that size is consumption. IMHO

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I agree with them. Outside of a few women and little kids I don't know anyone want a small tablet. If I want small I use my phone.

Sent from my Lumia Icon via Tapatalk

Dave

Are we lumping Android and iOS in this as well?  I can see the argument against 8" full blown PC.  

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I am. It isn't the OS that matters to me. Just the form factor.

Edited by ImTheTypeOfGuy

schoondoggy

Depends on the use case.

For work, the Dell Venue 8 Pro has worked very well for me, as a companion device

I use it to take notes in OneNote. I read and reply to email.

I find there is a large difference between 7" and 8" tablets.

I find 7" tablets too small for anything, but consumption. Aspect ratio is an issue as well. 4:3 is a better ratio for reading.

All said though, there are probably more 7" android tablets on the earth, than any other size of tablet.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Yes but that probably has more to do with cost than a vote for that size.

pfinter

For myself, I would only use a 7 inch tablet for consumption.

For note taking, I prefer a keyboard not a pen. I personally cannot write fast enough or legible enough to keep up with a presenter. Keyboards buy me speed and accuracy, clarity and time to put my thoughts into words before the presenter moves on to the next topic.

Having said that, I used to take notes on a Dell AXIM x51 with an infrared compact keyboard that folded up and was about the same size as the PDA. It did a pretty fair job. I think a 7 inch tablet with a bluetooth keyboard wouldn't be too horrible. I'm thinking a keyboard like MS Wedge keyboard. I use one of these with my Nokia 2520 and I really like it. Plus, the keyboard cover makes a great stand for the tablet. 

CommonTek

I use my IPad mini for consumption only but only because my phone is only 4.5".  If I have had a 5.5" screen, the IPad would be gone.  That being said, I would look at using something like the rumored 8" Surface Mini if it had the same N-Trig Digitizer Tech (or a Wacom).  I would use it for notes instead of my laptop; unless I could convince IT to get me a SP3 then I wouldn't need the 8" Tablet.