RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Received My Icon Today--3Rd Attempt To Use Windows Phone In Less Than A Year.

RMansfield

At last year's meetup, as I was checking my email at lunch on my iPhone, one of the other attendees asked me if I'd ever tried Windows Phone. I had not.

The Icon is my third Windows Phone to try in less than a year. As I've written in another thread, it's not easy to try out different phones and phone platforms because two year contracts lock most of us in to one phone in a longterm commitment. 

In December of last year, I bought a used 521 on eBay so that I could test out T-Mobile's coverage. Although I think T-Mobile would be the cheapest plan for my family, it simply does not give enough reception in areas we travel to throughout the year. As a low-end phone, the 521 was not all that impressive to me, although I did not judge the entire Windows Phone platform by the one device. 

Last month, I ordered a 928 on eBay after learning I could switch phones on Verizon without incurring any extra fees. I was very impressed by the physical quality of the 928 compared to the 521. The first days of trying to use the 928 were frustrating. In fact, I immediately switched back to my iPhone within about 24 hours, but I waited a few days and tried it again. 

In the end, the 928 left a positive impression in my mind, but I wanted to try out one of the higher megapixel cameras in some of the better Nokia Windows Phones. The cameras are one of my main attractions to the Windows Phone platform. So, I ordered a used Icon on eBay. 

The Icon came in today. The previous owner took very good care of it, always keeping it in a case. There's not a scratch on it--it seems like it was just bought brand new. I really like the 5" screen compared to the 4" screen on my iPhone 5. I've got other reasons for sticking with iOS, but I want to give the Icon and Windows Phone a really good try. 

My contract with Verizon comes up in September. I'm not partial to Verizon at all. T-Mobile does not give me enough coverage, but I will consider going back to AT&T. I want to see what the next generation of Windows Phone brings this Fall, and of course, the iPhone 6. I'll make my decision then. However, right now, I'm going to use the Icon for at least a week. I may decide to stay with it longer--perhaps selling the iPhone 5 while I can still get more money for it and use the Icon until my contract runs out.

I'm not certain what I'll do, but the Icon is an impressive phone. I have the same issues with the Windows Phone platform that everyone else does, so there's no need to go into the negatives here. And I do have reasons for sticking with iOS, but we'll see.

I want to give the camera in the Icon a thorough evaluation over the next few days. If I were to completely switch to Windows phone, the camera would be a big part of it.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a new owner of the ICON. I am loving the display and camera for sure. The display in direct sunlight is outstanding, the camera is great.

Call me fickle. I initially decided to go back to the iPhone. So I put the Icon back on eBay. But then I really missed the Icon--especially the large screen. But people were already bidding on the Icon. Plus I was making more money on it than what I paid. 

So now I've bought a second Icon on eBay. I'm going to keep it until we switch to AT&T. Then maybe I'll go with an iPhone 6, or maybe I'll go with a NL 1520 or whatever its successor is. I'll decide then.

Regardless, as I said, I really like the Icon. The screen is incredible, and it makes it very difficult to go back to anything smaller. The camera on the Icon is great--definitely better than my iPhone 5. 

So I am going to do a longer write up later but my windows phone days appear to be frozen for the foreseeable future. I am the proud (and lucky/rare) owner of a OnePlus One. That's right, two geeks here now have 'the one' and it might increase. Have to say, it is nice to be back on android.

• 1 month later...

Well, I used the Nokia Icon for most of the summer--even sold my iPhone 5 so I couldn't keep hopping back and forth--but in the wee hours of this morning, I put in my order for a 128 GB iPhone 6 Plus. I should be able to pick it up from the local (Louisville) Apple Store next Friday.

The Icon hardware is great, and I'd still wager that the Icon takes better pictures than the iPhone 6 (even with all its software improvements), but there's just a million little things that make the Windows Phone platform a subpar experience. It's a real shame; I tried hard to make it work.

A larger Icon--or the 1520 or its equivalent--would be nice on Verizon.

Going from the iPhone 5 to the Icon was great because of the screen. I looked at the 1520 in an AT&T Store and liked the 6" screen even more. It didn't seem too big to me. The screen on the iPhone 6 Plus will be in-between. 

I had thought about leaving Verizon for AT&T but it looks like we'll be stuck for at least another cycle.

I don't think there is a good carrier at all. I just moved to Verizon and they have messed up my bill countless times within a 2 month period. And they still haven't released the Cyan update. It's pretty pathetic.