RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Transitioning From Cintiq Comapnion To Sp3

Se7enDolors

Sorry if this has been asked before. I am a noob to the forums. 

In January I purchased a Wacom Cintiq Companion for my freelance graphic design on the side.  I love it! 

This month my Full-time job just gave us all Surface Pro 3's. I love it's size and profitability. 

I would love to transition fully to the SP3  and sell my cintiq but I miss my wacom side buttons and radial menu's 

I would be willing to give up the physical buttons in the transition to the SP3 if i could get the virtual buttons and radial menu on the surfacepro 3, like with the software that the Wacom tablet has. 

Is there a way to get those or something similar to the Wacom software on my surface pro 3? 

I tried downloading the Wacom feel it drivers but it said my hardware is incompatible. 

any help would be great thanks. 

Hey Se7enDolors, welcome to the forum. Check out my blog SurfaceProArtist.com where I try to address all of these issues.

The SP3 features an N-Trig digitizer, so it is no longer compatible with the Wacom drivers used for previous Surface Pros.

There is no radial menu at the moment, but it's on the Microsoft wishlist for the pen control panel they're developing. There's still no word on when it will be available.

I've published a couple of ArtDocks for the Surface Pro 1 and 2, but those are also incompatible with the 3. Fortunately, a user over at TabletPCReviews has written a toolbar creator based on AutoHotKey that does work with the SP3. He's tweaking the program a little based on my needs and as soon as he's done, I'll be posting a new set of controls that should work on all N-Trig devices.

I have installed the latest n-trig drivers. This is all good news. I will wait patiently! I will just keep working with both devices until then. Not a bad problem to have. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

By Guest
      Regardless of whether you have built your WHS or it arrived all in one piece there are certain steps you should take to get up and running with Windows Home Server.  This is not a step by step guide to installation.  They are all different.  This is more like Cliff Notes.  It's the stuff you need to know before you get started and some tips and tricks before, during, and after installation.  I will publish a check list or a cheat sheet list to go along with this podcast.

News Items mentioned on the show

The Home Server Show's new writers

Home Build section - send yours in with photos

Listen to the show for a freebie.

Backing up your Mac with the new HP Mediasmart Server

Feed Changes

Thank you to all who submitted a fun quote for the last two shows.

Dan Reynolds of Proxure (keepvault.com)

George C.  Krom

Diehard - homeservershow.com

Phil Churchill MSWHS.com

Jesse P.

Jonas Svenson - Microsoft

Andrew Edney UsingWindowsHomeServer.com

Clive S.

Donavon West - HomeServerHacks.com

Ethan K.

Jim C.

Terry Walsh - WeGotServed.co.uk

Ken Warren - Hejustpostsalot

Alexander Kent kentdome.com

Chris L. Lux - homeservershow.com

Brian Binnerup - mymovies.dk

Sam Wood - tentaclesoftware.com

J. Ortiz - pixelconceptonline.com

Follow the Podcast on Twitter!

Don't forget to vote for the Home Server Show at Podcast Alley.

My Blog at thedigitallifestyle.com

[iTunes] Subscribe to the Podcast in iTunes(MP3).
      [Zune] Subscribe to the Podcast in the Zune Marketplace.
      [Mp3] Download the Podcast in MP3.
      [RSS] Add the Podcast feed to your RSS aggregator.
      [blog RSS] Add the Blog feed to your RSS aggregator.
      By Guest
      Today's show is a follow up to the Before you Build show.  It's a short show this week.

News and Links mentioned in the podcast

Microsoft's New Server, Foundation

HP Upline is calling it quits.  Did we kill it?

Windows Home Server February Update

Add-In:  Update to WHS Outlook

Norco SS-500 Hot Swap Backplane Review

What should we do with a VIA A2000?

Acer's EasyStore H340 Windows Home Server

Windows Home Server Drive Balancer Utility

Quick & Easy Windows Home Server OS Backup and Restore. | 4Hak3rs

How to run HP Upline inside your Windows Home Server Console
      Leave me a voicemail with Skype! Click me to call HomeServerShow.com

Follow the Podcast on Twitter!

Don't forget to vote for the Home Server Show at Podcast Alley.

My Blog at thedigitallifestyle.com

[iTunes] Subscribe to the Podcast in iTunes(MP3).
      [Zune] Subscribe to the Podcast in the Zune Marketplace.
      [Mp3] Download the Podcast in MP3.
      [RSS] Add the Podcast feed to your RSS aggregator.
      [blog RSS] Add the Blog feed to your RSS aggregator.
    • ckqualls
      By ckqualls
      I'm in a choir which is stuck on paper, and we have to use 3 ring binders for uniformity.  I was hoping to find an insert that fits into a standard 3 ring binder that holds a Surface Pro 3. I've scanned the music into OneNote.

Thanks,

Kelly
    • AminRahdar
      By AminRahdar
      Hi Dears

I have a surface pro 3, recently i 've installed windows 10 pro on my device.
      everything goes well since i upgraded it wrong with windows 10 enterprise that my windows didn't active
      so i clean install a windows 8.1 pro on my device.
      since i did this installation touch screen of my device did not work well
      sometimes works well but it does not respond to my touches usually
      i installed all surface drivers that exist in microsoft site
      i guess that this problem causes firmware does not installed

please help me
      thanks. 
    • ebot
      By ebot
      This is an advice posting, but I'll try to make the journey to the question a little diverting.

I'm a casual scribbler. I love drawing; love comic books, but I've never derived an income, it's always just something I've done to have fun.

I spend most of my time in IT in one form or another. I have some graphic design experience (studied it 20 years ago)... Purchased my first Wacom tablet for some crazy amount of money, but I could never get past the cognitive dissonance of drawing on a surface while watching the screen somewhere else.

At one point I owned a Cintiq 12x? the little one... I replaced it with a first gen iPad, because I can't sit for long periods at a desk (busted spine) and I don't like being tethered in general.

I fell in love with Adobe Ideas. Being able to freehand vectors (Macromedia! Woo!) and apply lighting effects via semi-transparent layers: Awesome.   

Then I repaced the iPad with an iPad 2 for the additional grunt and cameras (Facetime my folks).

Until the ipad 2, I drew with a stubby Wacom bamboo stylus. The end of the first gen iPad started a journey of disappointment as I went on to purchase and become disillusioned with around 15 different styluses.

A combination of no palm rejection and no decent Initial Activation Force (IAF - a term that describes a problem I've always had but couldn't articulate)... At the end of the iPad 2 era, I was mostly happy with a Maglus.

Then along came the iPad Air. The change in display tech (in the Air) made all my existing iPad styli mostly useless, including the Maglus.

So I splurged on a battery-powered Evernote(branded) Bluetooth fine point stylus... And spent the next 12 months getting angry at it (because it was mechanically faulty and I didn't gather up the guts to confirm/replace it).

Eventually I did, and the replacement is okay... But in the meantime I picked up an Apex - no Bluetooth, still no pressure sensitivity...  But all I cared about was IAF and having a non-stubby tip. If I'm writing notes in a meeting or just mucking around, I want every contact between pen and display to register, not some: It's irritating to have to 'rewrite' letters because the hardware didn't register the strike-though on a 't'.

I gave up drawing on the iPad air. I still co-draw stuff with my 4 year old daughter, but we mainly use our fingers (Artrage+finger painting = fun).    

Then this year, I was looking for a cheap windows 8 tablet to install Steam, so I could stream/play PC games on the couch while my wife watches bad TV.

I picked up an Ausus VivoTab Note 8 (32Gig) for $200 on Amazon, funnily enough, because it has Wacom tech in it. 'Turns out I really like scribbling in OneNote. The lines look lovely and it seems like you have an infinite canvas size(?) - you just keep drawing and scrolling.

I purchased a $40 copy of Manga Studio, because I miss layers.

When the Wacom tech works, its... Fantastic. I don't mind the little stylus; a couple of days a week I catch the train to work (cycle most of the time) and I can knock out a few quick sketches.

I'd forgotten how much joy I derive from it.

But then: On the AVN8, the stylus goes nuts along one corner, and every now and then a 3cm area on the stylus will 'go dead' - usually fixed by a restart of the device - but annoying when it happens. I've read enough forum posts to know that there's no such thing a working AVN8, just varying levels of not working, so replacing it isn't really an option.

My question:
      Do I spurgle on a SP3? Sight unseen, Do you think I'll get annoyed by the increased IAF required?

Do I go look for a SP2? Do I run the risk of getting one with dodgy Wacom tech in it - Until the AVN8, I didn't know there was dodgy Wacom tech- is there another Manufacturer I should consider? My requirements are:

be a capable Steam Home streaming client
      be light (relatively)
      Not have a resolution so high and a screen so small that I can't make out anything
      have 6+ hours battery life
      Not be crazy expensive
      has inking tech that will register fine touches (see: fast notetaking)
      not have dodgy corners or dead spots, temporary or permanent
      Have nice (Agnes Nutter nice I mean) software.

Please note that my life doesn't depend on a perfect solution, I do fine as a low level Database administrator. I just like drawing (even more than playing videogames I finally realise)

Thanks btw for existing, Surface pro artist. The recent stuff about the N-trig hub software is very informative.

Cheers.