RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Artdock On Surface Pro 3?

reloaded

Sorry for the double post. I'm desparate!!! I posted this in the hardware section, because I don't know whether it's hardware issue or a software issue:

" I just purchased a Surface Pro 3. I'm a long time user of the ArtDocks, making my own custom ones for my EP121, then my Surface Pro 2. However I can't seem to get any version to run, no matter which autohotkey version I download for the Surface Pro 3.

I either get the "error at line 256", or the script runs, but dissappears when I try and press a button with my finger. Is this due to the Ntrig digitizer switch? I don't think it's windows 8 since I ran it fine on my Surface Pro 2. Is there something else about the hardware or software on the SP3 that prohibits the script from reading input properly?

If anyone has it running on the Surface Pro 3, I would really appreciate knowing which script and which version of Autohotkey is being run. Or if anyone is having the issue in general. I really, really, want to like my Surface Pro 3 now that the wintab drivers kind of work."

Any help is appreciated!

I haven't tested too extensively, but the guys over at TabletPCReview forums have indicated to me that ArtDock is incompatible with N-Trig hardware.

However, another expert over on that site has made progress with a new Autohotkey derivative he's calling Toolbar_Creator. It's not as flexible or easy to customize as ArtDock, but it seems to work okay on the Surface Pro 3. Right now, it doesn't scale properly so the buttons are too small for touch and it's only working with Photoshop but it should work for other programs once you understand how to customize it. Check it out here: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/software/63014-toolbar-creator.html#post401226

Thanks and I love your blog. I had been anxiously following it since I found out they switched to Ntrig over Wacom to see if Ntrig or MS was going to provide WinTab drivers. Surface Pro 2 was almost perfect, but the screen size and aspect just didn't work for me.

As a digital artist, this would be the perfect device. Great aspect ratio, light, portable, fast boot, good screen, lots of ram, big hard drive, etc. However with Ntrigs warbly lines when drawing slowly, the awkward implementation of sensitivity in Photoshop CS6 (sensitivity works, but using the pen to choose other tools or navigate CS6 locks it up) and not being able to use ArtDock for the various programs, I'm re thinking my purchase. I also cant seem to access the task bar with my finger, it seems to demand the cursor or pen to pop it up.

It's a little too much to overcome for the price and use. I get they are trying to capture the student/business market and the art side is a PR and bonus benefit. As is the case with most tablet PC's. It was awesome that they pushed out those wintab drivers. Maybe Microsoft learned a little bit from the Xbox backlash? Currently the wintab is by no means a smooth use in the short time I've had the device. Ultimately I may have to go back to my EP121 and return the Surface Pro 3 in the 30 day window. It reallly makes me sad, I thought I had found the perfect sketch/illustration machine! I'll be trying Zbrush tonight. I want to like this thing so bad.

I will check out the link you sent though and thanks so much for the response.

Just a quick follow up. I did check out the link you sent and it shows a LOT of promise. It looks like the latest version allows you to scale the buttons and using .ico files is kind of brilliant. Making new image files at different resolutions for ArtDocks was getting tedious.

Installed my license of Zbrush also and it works brilliantly. If I can get this Toolbar_Creator customized for ZB and what I use in PS (as well as get PS working) the Surface Pro 3 will be the dream machine.

Thanks again Surfaceproartist for making this blog and forum. This has become a main resource into getting the most out of this machine. I have been swayed back to keeping my SP3. I hope Microsoft knows what you are doing for them, since there is not a lot of information out there, and certainly not in thier stores!

I suggested loading up SurfaceProArtist.com on all display machines at Microsoft Store, but no one listened.  :P