RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

System drive failing! Help!!!

hewisond

Hi Guys, I've been listening for a year now and love the show.. now I find myself in a situation where I need help and for the life of me i cant find any answers online.

I have recently rebuilt my WHS from a 6 year old gimp box to a brand new:

Gigabyte P55a-UD3 mobo

Intel i3 540 CPU

2 gig ddr3 ram

gigabit LAN

Blu-Ray Combo Drive

650w Cooler Master Pro PSU

encased in an Antec 300 <--- love it!

with 7 drives (totaling about 8TB)

Most of my data is duplicated except for the 2TB of movies..

My photos and some select data is backed up to Wuala..

All clients are backed up and the backup DB is backed up to an external drive.

The shares are NOT backed up. I don't have enough space to do that.

In short, if I lose the server, some stuff will be safe, most wont be and thats a bad look for me.

My system drive is failing fast... Ive removed it and replaced the drive with a new one, using the WHS install DVD the system did NOT give the the option to Re-Install. Ive looked at cloning the drive as per the instructions on MediaSmartServer "How to successfully clone and upgrade a WHS System Drive" but the drive wont clone - too many bad sectors.

Does anyone have any ideas on a solution to this? Anyone help would be appreciated! :)

Thanks.

Dave.

Do you have data on the system drive that is failing? If you don't, you could always pull all the data drives, install the WHS OS on a new hard drive, add a drive to the pool and then connect one of your "old" data drives. Don't add it to the pool and you will be able to go into the "old" drive and move your files to the new pooled storage. After you get all the files off the "old" drive you can add it to the pool. Add another "old" drive to the server and repeat moving the files.

Others will chime in but that is one way to preserve your old data. Of course, with the new install you will have to re-setup your clients and all your users.

Do you have data on the system drive that is failing? If you don't, you could always pull all the data drives, install the WHS OS on a new hard drive, add a drive to the pool and then connect one of your "old" data drives. Don't add it to the pool and you will be able to go into the "old" drive and move your files to the new pooled storage. After you get all the files off the "old" drive you can add it to the pool. Add another "old" drive to the server and repeat moving the files.

Others will chime in but that is one way to preserve your old data. Of course, with the new install you will have to re-setup your clients and all your users.

That's what I'm in the middle of doing now. 13 drives to copy data over.

Yes that certainly is an option, whilst I Don't have 13 drives, I have 8 and I'm Aussie - so I'm inherrently lazy! :)

I actually tried Spinrite, that didnt work, but HDD Regenerator did.. picked up all 1200 bad sectors (eek) and repaired them all. Now I'm monitoring the drive using HD Sentinal and it's stable.

At least this will give me some time to come up with a solution. What I'm thinking is a RAID 1 SSD set up for the O/S and starting from scratch again via a fresh install and then migrate from the DE Folders... sigh.

Thanks for you're help though!

Dave.

• 3 weeks later...

For recovery use level 2 (hit the 2 button on the keyboard, until drive selection menu shows up), for maintenance use level 4.These are the levels recommended by steve gibson(author/programmer to/of spinrite) on the podcast security now!and depending on your drive size expect a looong recovery/error detection period, several hours to days as it takes 26 hours at level 2, for on my WD10EADS 1 TB green drive.

otherwise I would try to get the data off you can now and then use spinrite afterwards, unless you have a drive the has signs of physical damage(unusual clicking or other noises).

use something like a ubuntu live cd to get the data off, as it seems to be less picky, and do not use chkdsk/checkdisk on the drive as that simply discards the data in the bad sectors:(

Edited by stalni

I forget the settings, but I did select '2'. It usually gets about a 1/4 of the way and comes up with an error. THis has happened with two disks from WHS now, however for drives that are not from the server, it works fine.

HDD recovery worked, the drive is very stable now anyway.

Ive decided to leave it alone until V2 comes out and upgrade with new system disks. Although now drive extenders been canned, maybe ill look elsewhere..