RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
RMansfield

Podcast App?

RMansfield

For those of you who use a Windows Phone, what podcast app would you recommend--the default one that is on the phone or something else?

WolfJT

I used the default app in Phone 8. The new app in 8.1 is so broken it's unusable. I have just purchased Podcast Lounge It seems to be good, it worked well in the trial version. I just made the purchase today and so far so good.

CommonTek

Wolf mentioned the one I settled on, Podcast Lounge.   Of all of the ones I have used on WP; for me it is the best.   The UI is nice, the functionality is pretty good as well.   I still however miss PocketCast greately from Android/IOS. 

Dave

I'm using Lounge as well. So far I has been able to keep up with expectations. I am coming from PocketCast as well.

Lounge has some odd UI elements and I miss the android widget on my home screen but so far it works well. I have 3 others loaded but have yet to even launch one.

up7500

I use podcast picker.  Not bad, but I have been having resume issues recently that are starting to get annoying.  You can look at the screen and it will show you partially through the podcast but for some reason will restart from the beginning.

Dave

I had that on my 928 with "Picker."  It was my app of choice late last year.  You should try "Lounge."

cversion7

I have tried:

podcasts!

ipodcast

podcast picker

podcast2go

podcast lounge

podcast critter

podcaster

casts

podcast+ pro

wpodder

and maybe a couple others

I have yet to find one that does everything I am used to on Android as far as playlist management and UI presentation, but I am going to try to stick with Lounge because it does most of what I need and I can conform to what it doesn't. It also seems widely used and promoted.

Good luck.

-cversion7

• Like 1

RMansfield

I tried a couple of different apps and liked Podcast Lounge best. Like you, cversion7, I didn't find anything that did things like I was used to, but I found Podcast Lounge usable enough. 

I'm now back on my iPhone (the Lumia 928 is on eBay), but my feelings toward Windows phone are very positive. My contract comes up for renewal in September. At the time I'm going to look not only at carriers (I certainly feel no loyalty to Verizon where I am now), but also the current crop of Windows phones and whatever iPhone(s) is/are released this Fall. 

For Windows Phones, I'd be interested in whatever the successors are going to be for the Icon, 1020 and 1520. And, of course, I'll be interested to see the rumored 5.5" iPhone if such a thing actually exists. 

I'll tell you, one of the biggest attractions Windows Phone has for me is the cameras that are in the higher-end models. My wife and I take lots of pictures (I currently have over 35,000 photos in Aperture on my MacBook Pro). Although we have a nicer camera, you know how it goes--the best camera is always the one you have with you, and often only have our iPhones with us. Therefore, the 20-40 MP cameras on Windows Phones are very appealing to me. My wife says she's not going to use anything but an iPhone, but if I were to start taking better pictures than her, she might change her tune.

up7500

OK, been using Podcast Lounge for a while now and it has gotten to the point where the annoyance factor has gotten too high.  Having issues with it downloading new podcasts and if I tell it to manually download a podcast it seems to work  about a third of the time.  The other annoyance is the playlist generator is set to arrange them oldest to newest, but it always generates a list in alphabetical order.  I have also tried Podcast Picker, Podcasts!, and ipodcast.

Anybody got any suggestions.  My requirements are that it auto-downloads new podcasts and generates a playlist that is from oldest to newest.  It would be nice if it could import my list of podcasts, but is not necessary.

I am using a 520 as my podcast player.