RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

First Impressions Of Sp3

surfaceRT

Did you get the latest firmware update?  My loaner from MS started having power issues right before launch and the firmware update fixed it completely.  I've had zero issues with the one I purchased but admittedly it has been at my desk while I use the loaner around the house. 

This afternoon we visited our local Best Buy and had a chance to play with the Surface Pro 3 on display.  I really like the feeling of the pen and the larger screen.   I am definitely sold on buying one.  In fact, the trip to Best Buy was made for the sole purpose of purchasing a portable hard drive to use to transfer all of my files off this MacBook Air so I can wipe it and pack it up for trade-in.   B)

I am this very moment writing to you from my brand new Surface Pro 3.  I traded my 2 1/2 year old MacBook Air towards it this morning.  So, first things first: trade-in value on my bottom of the line 11" Air was only $270.  I probably could have gotten more for it by selling on eBay, but I didn't want the hassle and I didn't want to wait any longer for my new machine! I decided in advance that I would not take less than $200 for the Air, otherwise I would have kept it. 

This SP3 is the $1299 i5 8GB RAM, 256GB storage model.  Fortunately I was able to take advantage of a 10% discount to which I am entitled through my employer.   Also fortunately my husband gave me an MS Store Gift card as a birthday present yesterday :) .  I also purchased the SP3 bundle with the Type Cover, an Incipio sleeve, Complete for SP3 and Office 365 Personal.  I spent more than I had originally planned to spend, but I felt that the larger storage space and double the memory were worth it.

First impressions in no particular order:

Absolutely love the pen.  Tried out OneNote and found it to be a huge improvement over the rubber tipped stylus that I used to use with Penultimate on my iPad 2. 

Even in the limited time I tested it out in Fresh Paint I think the home button is definitely in the wrong place for use with drawing applications.  Wickedly annoying to be sketching and have the thing drop to the desktop.

The kickstand is awesome.  I think it definitely improves lapability with the keyboard cover, and can imagine it will be great for setting it up to watch a video or a PPT or whatever. 

I am still getting used to the touch pad differences, but other than user behavior issues (ahem) it is pretty responsive. 

Not sure about the strange soft feeling of the keyboard surface, but I do like the keys and the backlight works well. 

Less than 24 hours, but so far loving it!

love the pen. Tried out OneNote and found it to be a huge improvement over the rubber tipped stylus that I used to use with Penultimate on my iPad 2.

Coming from a capacitive stylus on iPad to an active digitizer and pen on Surface would be a change like night and day!

Enjoy :)

[sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk Pro]

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I exchanged my Surface 2 with a Pro3 and I'm extremely happy that I did it. I could not live anymore without a Pen. And the Pen in the Pro 3 works really well.