RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
JoeK

Surface Pro 2...incompatible With Amazon Instant Video? Seriously?

JoeK

I've been having problems streaming films/television programs from Amazon Prime/Instant Video on my Surface Pro 2. The films will play but they stop and start every couple seconds, creating a really poor viewer experience. Microsoft Customer Service didn't seem all that aware but I called Amazon and one of their technical folks said Prime is NOT compatible with my tablet.

He said compatibility was in development for Prime and Microsoft products but he didn't have a timeline. Is this just a pissing contest between two of the big names in computing/online content industry?

Has anyone had this experience or are you aware of it? Suggestions?

Thanks,

Joe

CommonTek

This doesn't even make sense. Are you using an app or streaming straight out of IE? I admit, I am not a user of Prime Media services but the explanation that it is not 'compatible' with MS services is a sham, So they are saying that the hundreds of millions of Windows users can't watch prime video? The fact that it is MS hardware vs. Any other OEM hardware is a joke. If you are using a 3pty app, I can buy that excuse, or possibly even that the modern IE doesn't work but if you are using the desktop version of IE and it still isn't working than something is off...

I think he just didn't know what he was talking about, unless he though you ere on Windows RT and for some reason that isn't compatible.

I would call again and get a different rep, or your ISP and see if they are aware of any issues.

If I am wrong, I apologize... It just doesn't seem logical to balme it on MS hardware as the root cause.

Edited by TabletJunkie

Kari

I agree with TabletJunkie, they must have thought you had a Windows RT tablet, otherwise they are saying that Amazon Prime isn't compatible with Windows 8.1, which doesn't make any sense.  

JoeK

Schoondog, I definitely did check the technical requirements. I did not, however, check the Video Playback page, I'll have to check that out. 

TabletJunkie, everything you say makes sense to me. I'm not enough of an expert to tell an engineer "I don't think you're right"...but his explanation did seem kind of weird. Maybe I'll just call back and speak with someone else who might have a better solution. Very frustrating...

Thanks for everyone's comments. Would welcome more suggestions from anyone else.

schoondoggy

I would focus on this area:

Enabling and clearing Silverlight application storage resolves most intermittent problems with the player.