RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP MediaSmart Server VGA/PS2/Serial Debug Board

Mr Bill

Good day,

I am looking at purchasing one of the HP MediaSmart Server VGA/PS2/Serial Debug Board from http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8066&start=0 .

One question that I have is what is the serial port used for?

Do I need the PS2 connections, or can I just plug in a USB mouse and USB keyboard?

Thanks for your time and input.

From the FAQ on the link you provided:

Q: Which debug board should I get?

A: I make no assumptions about your needs because everyone's needs are different. The VGA assembly is perfect for basic troubleshooting (like diagnosing boot-up problems or BIOS tweaking). The VGA + PS2 Keyboard + PS2 Mouse assembly is recommended for BIOS flashing and other more advanced things. The complete set (VGA + PS2 Keyboard + PS2 Mouse + Serial) assembly is perfect for the kernel developer who wants to hack at the lower-level hardware, or perhaps the enthusiast who wishes to connect a RS232 weather station to their HP MediaSmart Server.

Seems to me they offer different options, in increasing level. For most people, I think that just the VGA would fill the need, but it all depends on what you want to do with your MediaSmartServer.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems to me you will want to go and read through the forums concerning that additional board. I believe you need the PS/2 keyboard port because a USB keyboard will not be available if you are in the BIOS. I know Diehard built one of his own.

When I build the cable for my EX470, I could make changes in the BIOS with a USB keyboard, but I needed the PS2 keyboard to make changes in the BIOS on my EX490. So it depends on which box you have. Also I had to make a change to the cable. I believe that the guys on mediaSmartServer.net had to make a change to. So check that you buy the right cable. Chance are you do not need the RS232 that's for some really deep stuff that I do not see any work being done on.

I ordered the unit that only had a VGA connector and no PS2 connectors.

With the unit installed, video works as stated.

As far as the jumper goes, when I install the jumper it boots up into the refresh mode with the listener running. So, without the PS2, I am unable to get into the bios. After the EX485 is booted up though, the USB mouse and keyboard do work.

What did you want to end up doing with your VGa cable ? What model MediaSmart Server do you have ?

This is what my cable ended up looking like http://i1038.photobu...10/DSCN1893.jpg

Good day John, Thanks for the input.

With the adaptor cable I was looking at doing some troubleshooting on my EX485. The EX485 was not coming up to a point that I could RDP into it. With the adaptor cable I was able to see that it was stuck going thru a check disk on boot up.

This is the unit that I got from a source over at MediaSmartServer.net

This is the cable that I purchased MediaSmartServer.net/.......link

I am pleased with what the unit does. I am only disappointed that I was not aware that I had to have the PS2 option to get into the bios and that a USB mouse and keyboard would not be adequate to get into the bios.

The EX485 is in the rebuild phase at this time. I have been able to transfer the majority of the data from it to my new EX490.

Life is well and the wife acceptance factor is back up to where I like it.

Edited by Mr Bill