RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Has Anyone Added An Msata To An Acer Aspire R7-572 And Made It The Boot Drive?

RMansfield

I realize that one of the easiest upgrades I could do to my new Acer Aspire R7 is to simply replace the 5400 RPM drive with an SSD. However, I really like the idea of having that full terabyte drive in the machine; and although there are full 1 TB SSDs available, they are not within my price range. But I would be interested in making an mSATA drive a boot drive and moving Windows and my main software to that drive and use the 1 TB drive that came with the R7 as a disk for other files. 

I've read a couple of descriptions for doing this on other forums, but it seems like getting the BIOS to recognize the mSATA drive as the boot drive is a bit tricky, and I really don't want to brick my R7.

So, I wonder if anyone on these forums has done this successfully? If so let me know how it went and perhaps you could also give me a little straightforward guidance on such a project. 

Thanks!

I like your logic, my wife's HP M7 has room for two 2.5" drives. We are running a SSD and a 1TB spinner.

Our R7 came with a 24GB Msata drive configured as cache. The Msata just shows up as another drive, I cant think of a reason why you could not install straight on it. I would take a usb stick and make a recovery drive to reload the system from. 

Here is a 240GB that would be a good choice for the Msata:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226361

and a good video on opening up the R7:

Schoondog, I've never purchased a Mushkin drive. How would you compare its reliability vs. Crucial vs. Samsung?

I have had great luck with Mushkin. I would put them in the same league as Crucial and Samsung for reliability.

Low power is a big thing to look at for this application as well.

The Mushkin mSATA came in today. So, I opened the back of the R7, pulled out the 5400 rpm drive and added the mSATA. The restore worked without a hitch. I thought I would have to run the Acer drivers separately, but I guess that having both USB thumbdrives (Windows Restore & Acer Driver Installer) was all that was needed. 

This drive is significantly faster. It's noticeable

In a few days, after I'm certain everything is working as it should, I'll wipe the 1 TB 5400 RPM drive and then put it back in to work as a documents/data drive.

I only have one issue, and it may not even be an issue. It may be totally my imagination, but it seems to me that the text is not as crisp on the screen as it was before I put in the mSATA. The text seems a bit fuzzy as if I'm not running the computer at its native resolution (but I am). 

It really may be my imagination though. My other computer is a MacBook Pro with a retina display, so having the two of them together might make the Acer look worse in comparison. But I don't remember paying any attention to it before. 

If anyone knows some settings I should double-check, please let me know.

Okay, one of you can help me with what I assume will be a very easy Windows question (forgive me for being mostly a Mac guy for the last 16 years).

I had a buddy of mine who had an external bay format the original 1 TB drive that came with the R7. But he told me up front that he was not able to remove the partitions to take advantage of the full disk.

How would I go about doing that? It's the disk that (for right now) I've labeled "Disc 2."

image.jpg