RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Friends And Phones

WolfJT

A friend of mine started a discussion on Facebook last week. Asking what kind of smart phone should he purchase. The funny thing is, the only option he gave himself was an S5 or and iPhone. Talk about limiting your choices uh? The MotoX and HTC one for instance are just as good as the Sammy phones. It's funny how people say Nokia should have went with Android. But the only company making money (that it seems anyway) are Samsung and Apple. You better have good marketing if you want to sell mobile handsets. On another note, Windows Phone sales have slip in the US but it has achieved 10% in Europe. It's no wonder Win phone has slipped in the US with the Facebook conversation I had last week with my friends. It appears US citizens only know of Samsung and Apple. What a pity.

This is a typical consumer failure, more so in the USA I feel however.   I think it also has to do with the fact that in the USA our mobile providers still generally push the subsidy model which brings all phones into a general affordability range on the front end and allows people to buy based on marketing vulnerability vs. true informed decisions.   My brother recently told me he really wanted the GS5.  I asked why, and he said 'because everyone thinks it's cool, and he doesn't like his IPhone any longer.'  After a moment of elation for his separation from IOS finally, I immediately told him that if he did get the GS5, I would no longer include him on my many geek out trips to the MS Store at the Mall of America and I would lose all respect for hir technological preferences.  I told him that if he liked it for specific features, I could live with his decision (despite my detest for Samsung Devices), but liking something because the masses like it is the wrong reason.  He then said he liked Android, and I said, 'Galaxy Devices are hardly Android' and told him to look into the Sony Experia, HTC One, and LG series if he was interested in Android.   I guess my long winded point is that I agree with your assessment that Americans only recognize Samsung and Apple; and that we are not as informed as our European (and other) counterparts because it doesn't hit our pocketbook as hard up front.

Edited by TabletJunkie

• 2 weeks later...

I think Samsung has overshadowed Android even more in the last year and a half.  Part of the reason I went with a Windows Phone in December 2012 was so that when people asked, "Do you have Android or iPhone?" I could say, "Neither."   

Now, people just ask, "Do you have Samsung or iPhone?" and I still say neither, because I have been using the HTC One m7 and currently the Moto X.

The United States is really bad for this. I recently decided to get a Windows Phone. When my I told my friends what phone I had they said "Why did you buy a Windows Phone, they suck". These are people that have never had a Windows Phone, not even tried one. All of the people that use Windows Phone seem to like it. Windows Phone must have some bad connotation because it is associated with the Windows name.

America is full of uniformed drones/rubes that care more about what is popular than functional.  Every decade or so however, there are shifts because what was popular 5-10 years ago, is no longer in with the kids and the teen segment is of the most powerful and impactful buying segment.  I have recently noticed more youth with Windows Phone (obviously not a lot but more and more).  I think it has a chance to be the next big thing with teens in the next 5 years and then we will see finally a shift in market share. That is probably wildly naïve, but I just hope it happens so badly so we can finally get some decent developer support for Windows Phone.

My family just went from 4 WP's to 3 WP's plus an android. My youngest son had been using my WP7 Focus and had planned on getting a WP8 phone.  However, he's a gamer and decided that the games and other options for android fit his needs better.  It's great to have a choice. 

I'm not bitter about my sons choice but, his punishment now is that he has to support his grandfather as they both have the same phone. I don't have enough space in my brain to deal with keeping track of two different Phone OS's.

• Like 1

We just got my son his first phone. To my surprise he stated iPhones are old and stale (based on his experience of his iPod and the wifes iPhone) I was so proud I bought him an icon.

• Like 2