RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Love The Pen/onenote Integration, Still Klugy For "lapability"

Clarkb

Microsoft nailed:

- Pen/OneNote Integration:  Innovative and extremely useful , really helps lead w/Msft's productivity strengths.  Can't imagine the solution is necessarily proprietary so will be interesting to see if other OEMs deliver the same functionality in different form factors.  You know... like maybe 7" or 8"... you know.. kind of a "Mini" form factor.

- Size/Weight:  Awesome package for the power, ports, etc.

IMO still misses the mark on "Lapability":

- Love the added flexibility of the multi-position kickstand but still awkward for lap use.  You have 3 points of contact/support: keyboard edge closest to your body, the base of the Surface and the kickstand.  That's a pretty spread-out footprint and just not as convenient as a traditional laptop w/single solid base and adjustable screen.

- The problem really isn't stability of keyboard to Surface connection, it's that a Surface is screen-side top-heavy compared to a traditional laptop w/most of the weight in the base and a thin/light screen.

- I know they want a single device as opposed to two, but let's face it, the keyboard is already detachable so how about a complimentary base w/the look feel of a slim laptop base, extra battery, more ports, and a bracket the SurfacePro can slip in and out of acting either as a traditional laptop screen or removed for tablet mode.  Make it able to accommodate the TypeCover to remain attached so when you un-dock from the bigger base you still have a keyboard, or leave it behind in the bracket.

Im curious how well the kickstand works and the new type cover impovements, the track pad drives me crazy sometimes

I don't know if I can pull the 1500 dollar trigger. That's a lot of money. I am really intrigue by the Pro3. I agree with Clarkb, I think MS did nail it and hit a homerun with this device.

I think this device is an inside the park type home run.... extremely exciting and still technically counts as a home run, but it isn't the same as an over the wall home run.  The device itself is a grand slam but the primary and almost required peripheral of the keyboard is what is questionable.   Let me be clear, if I was still in the return window for my new laptop (8 weeks old) I would consider a return and purchase of the SP3.   To me, I am still skeptical of the keyboard and if A) The new magnetic strip that helps 'secure' the keyboard and elevates it is really as good as advertised & B.) If the track pad is really as good as advertised. I am extremely excited however and I hope this catches on publicly and continues the great evolution of the product line... in a couple years I hope to be a SP5 or SP'X' owner. 

Edited by TabletJunkie