RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Largest Canvas Size On Surface Pro 2

Matt

I've been really interested in the Surface Pro 2 to be used as an art tool. Most of my work is digital these days, and my current setup is great, but the convenience of the Surface Pro 2 is really appealing to me. With a Surface Pro 2, I don't have to be tied to my desktop to get work done. The screen is large enough for me to not feel too crammed (like my Note 3), and portable enough for it not to feel cumbersome when carrying it around. Plus the very important fact that weather I'm docked in at my desk with a Cintiq, or on the road with just the surface, all my work is in one location, using the same operating system, the same applications, and stored in the same locations. I don't have to think about converting things from one device to another and transferring files from one platform to another. It's a very attractive option.

I'm currently working with a Wacom Cintiq 24HD, paired with a 15" Macbook Pro that has a Core i7 (4 core) and 16GB RAM. It's got all the power I need to work on large canvases.

I usually work in Sketchbook Pro with canvas sizes of 20" x 20" at 300dpi or more, and with several layers (4 or more). I know this maybe an overkill size for some, but I like to future-proof my work for large prints.

I'm fairly comfortable with making a switch to Windows, my main concern would be whether or not the Surface Pro 2 has the guts to handle my needs.

Has anyone here experimented with how large of a canvas you can work with comfortably, and with how many layers?

Thanks for any advice.

Hi Matt, the largest canvases I've played with are 11x17 at 600 dpi in Manga Studio. I haven't tested such high resolutions with Sketchbook Pro. Performance starts to get sluggish when you add a lot of layers due to RAM constraints. I can't compare directly with a MacBook Pro, but 16GB and a Core i7 should be noticeably faster than the Surface Pro 2 with 8 GB and a Core i5.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Truxi
      By Truxi
      Hi there, newbie here.  Just got myself a Surface Pro 2, and I'm looking to put some software on it.  I bought a copy of Manga Studio Ex 4.0 awhile back, but it's on disk.  Is there a way for me to install it?  Preferably without having to buy another piece of hardware?

I tried putting the disc contents on a jump drive, and that seemed to work, but after I put in my serial number, it told me it couldn't do things until I put the disc in.

Thanks!
    • reiaya
      By reiaya
      i just bought a 64gb surface pro 2, as it was the only available where I live, and reads all the opinions about it been fantastic. Im mainly a mac user but well i say: so many good reviews. I worked in Win 7 a yeae ago because I read win 8 was having problems, but what the hell now I have 8.1 and the errors are supposedly corrected right?

so in ios is really strange to see an app freeze or the whole Os to freeze when clicking.. but in windows..that seems a daily thing if I overclick some app or window in explorer, and is driving me nuts...

why do I over click? seems I dont know how to calibrate the double clic quickness oor mayhaps I'm doing something really wrong since Im not use to win8 ormaybe is a bug?

so here my problem, I was testing illustrator (i installed the wacom feel driver since I also use psd) and I use the hack for turning the Ui into an acceptable size...that was posted in the tips section.

I opened the color guide, and for some reason if I use my foam size finger I can pick the color, but if I use my stylus, I click and seems selected...but it doesn't. so I click again and seems to pick another colour but didn't bring it into my object... and so is when I realize I need to double click, but no! so I click it like more than thrice or more and illustrator freezes, never picked up the color and so I finished cliĉking it with my finger. but I think, wait! It needs to work with the stylus too right? and I have change the settings of the wacom feel driver, about the speedness of double clik, but nothing changes! and then illustrator shut down unexpectedly "too much overclicking"
      same happens when trying to open a folder in win explorer....the ui is so small still that i rather use my stylus than my enormous finger, but again! the double click is a pain in the ass and never opens my folder till I use my giant finger! and suddenly I over click again too many times with the stylus and my Os freezes!

someoneee help, I dont want to start hating my new toy! is it the wacom driver ? or the native or what? is it justme? noo I dont lose thepatience that fast so don't think as me clicking so frenetically without waiting the results! 

also the windows store apps turned out to be crappy versions of the ios store. but well I have the whole windows 8 to run tumblr or pinterest right? like I dont really need Tunein for hearing the radio (win store version is crappy) if I can just google the station by itself or open my tumblr via chrome...etc.
    • reiaya
      By reiaya
      Everyday, I want to love my new surface pro 2, and everyday I have q new problem that makes me cry of why I didn't bought an apple macbook air. Like I never had brand new problems everyday.

first the artdock, I cant managed to make it run check the posts of it that i already posted.

So now is freaking mozilla firefox. everything was ok, just suddenly my touch stop working. I can type with the keyboard on screen but whenever I tried to click back or something my touch is not detected, So i need to use the freaking stylus for all! even the scroll that is a pain seems iy waw faster with my finger and now I need to calculated the bar to put on my cursor and scroll!

aaaaahhhh! and again nothing on the web about this error or i dont know how to google it.

it started yesterday at night, after i was trying to install the horrid artdock...so im not sure if thst program, hotkey did something to spoil my firefox. Even yesterday my touch didn't work in my task bar, just the stencil. (and not, i never managed to have the artdock shortcuts in screen so i couldnt have disable my touch)
    • MrSteve007
      By MrSteve007
      Thought you guys might appreciate my Surface Pro 2 desk layout. Anyone who says that a Surface Pro 2 can't replace a desktop, hasn't seen my setup:

The Surface Pro 2 is on the bottom left - plus there's a Surface 2 in the middle, and a iPad 2 on the right.

Here's the monitor layout from the Surface Pro 2:

Displays:
      - Surface Pro 2: 1920 x 1080

- Displayport - Dell U2913WM, 29" wide: 2560 x 1080
      - Daisychained Displayport - Dell U2713HM: 2560 x 1440

Via USB 3.0 Toshiba Dynadock port extender
      - DVI Dell 2408WFP 1200 x 1920
      - HDMI Dell 2408WFP 1200 x1920

Also included, dock, external 2TB drive (under desk), USB DVD drive, Wacom Inuos 3. 

The Surface Pro 2 handles these tasks with aplumb. I frequently use Adobe Photoshop CC and Premiere CC and will edit large, multi-hour HD videos along with short 4K content. When out off the office, I'll undock the SP2 and use a T-mobile LTE hotspot while on the go. I look forward to integrating my new Surface Pro 3, 512 into this setup.
    • Tatious
      By Tatious
      Hey all,
      I turn to you becuase I have a serious issue with color banding. I've seen fixes with this by sorting out preferences in the Intel graphics menu- but I have no idea how to pull this up or if I need to install special drivers to do so.
      I've been trying to paint and ANY darker shades just equal banding blobs. It's awful!
      https://twitter.com/Tatious/status/450896948745105408 for reference.. and don't even get me started on using any shade of black.

Have you all encountered this? What was your fix?