RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Nickolai

Surface Pro 2 256/512 Gb Out Of Stock. How Long Until Restock?

Nickolai

256 and 512 GB models of Surface Pro 2 are out of stock in Microsoft Store again. For those of you who are monitoring the store, how long does it usually take them to restock?

I was going to buy a 256 GB model, but they ran out of them. While I was thinking whether I feel like paying another $500 for extra 256GB of SSD and having it nao, they ran out of 512 ones too! :P

Nquateman

I went through the same thing when I was getting ready to purchase last November and December. I was debating between the 256 and 512, and I was watching both units come in and out of availability. I ended up with the 512, mainly because I wanted to make full disk images onto the tablet (I created a 2nd partition). But, to the question of being in stock, I couldn't find any pattern, and it didn't seem to have anything to do with Microsoft's predictions about availability. I just kept checking every day or two. Once you've made your choice, keep checking and be ready to pounce.

NeilQ from Tapatalk Pro

ImTheTypeOfGuy

It is good that they are still having this problem. Sales must be good.

Sent from my Lumia Icon via Tapatalk

Don W

Same price at Best Buy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Nickolai

I'm not going to buy it from Microsoft's store anymore.

I live in Russia and MS is not selling Surfaces here, apart from the original first-gen RT. So I tried to order it via Microsoft's Store with the help of Shipito re-shipping service. When I was getting strange errors like

We’re having trouble processing your order. Please call us at
1-877-696-7786 so we can help you.
Error code: 30225

I thought "That might be Microsoft's way to tell me to go away because I'm not from the US. Maybe their US site doesn't expect my non-American bank card and/or billing address" Well, I found a sympathetic US citizen who was willing to help me buy it - and what do you think - he's getting the same error! He even spent half an hour on that phone with a useless Microsoft customer service rep who didn't admit to any error on their side.

So it is actually the case of Microsoft not being able to get its act together and make its store actually work.

I'll buy from Amazon or eBay, instead; they work for me. Amazon has 512 GB models from $1700 and I saw a sealed one on eBay for $1525 from some Canadian seller. It sold out while I was pondering it, though.

The sales of first gen. were behind expectations and they had to sell them at a discount, so maybe now they are sold out simply because they made fewer of them this time, just to play it safe. I hope Microsoft won't be discouraged by the sales of Surface series (which is in part due to their ineptness) and won't cancel the series.

CommonTek

This MS Online Store's level of dysfunction is well documented, especially in the MS Geek Community.  My Father recently purchased a Surface Pro due to the end of support for XP.   He said it took him a few days before he could get the online store to accept his order and if it didn't take his order that last night he tried, he was going to get the Lenovo Yoga Pro instead as he liked that a lot as well.  

It is amazing that a Tech Giant can get something like Ecommerce so very wrong.

Edited by TabletJunkie

Nickolai

I am surprised end of support of XP actually drives real people's buying decisions. I understand that it's a good marketing point, but it's not that XP becomes illegal overnight, you know. Most people are not using their support anyway.

And you can always buy in many stores like Amazon, or others, I see Best Buy is selling it: they are all equally fine IMO, and sometimes offer discounts (though not much with Surface)

I would recommend to look into ThinkPad Yoga rather than other Yogas. But maybe it's just me; I'm a ThinkPad guy who only changes his ThinkPad for a Surface Pro because it's so much more portable. Still have to see if I'll be able to use it productively, as I hope to.

Here's a nice video comparison of ThinkPad Yoga to Surface Pro 2.

Edited by Nickolai

Nickolai

They restocked! Good news for everyone that wants and able to buy from Microsoft Store.

That, unfortunately, excludes me: my money is still on its way back from my friend's PayPal account (PayPal refunds don't cost a fee, but should take about 3 days)

I'm getting the same error I got earlier:

We’re having trouble processing your order. Please call us at 1-877-696-7786 so we can help you. 
Error code: 30225

I forgot Amazon doesn't take PayPal, and eBay prices went back up to retail levels.

Anyone got tips on how can I actually buy from Microsoft's store? It looks tempting again.

SurfaceProArtist

Perhaps this is the Universe's way of keeping you from making the big mistake of wiping Windows and installing Linux?  ;)