RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
anjn3515

The Old Help Me Pick A Tablet Question

anjn3515

If I think I am going to be doing mostly sketching and speed painting... Then moving to my desktop for the real heavy work.... Is the pro 3 or pro 2 a tad big to take everywhere? I ask because I have a :( sigh. iPad. And I find I don't take it along with me, I am not sue if it is size or the fact that with no pressure I never really feel comfortable drawing in it. If it is size, that brings me back to something like the 8inch models out there as long as I don't intend on doing final art on it.

SurfaceProArtist

If you're really only planning to sketch and don't mind a smaller screen that tends to get crowded very quickly, you should check out the Asus VivoTab Note 8 for around $300. It's got a Wacom digitizer and runs full Windows. I personally think both Surface Pros are portable enough, but I'm never comfortable carrying them around unless I throw them in a briefcase. The AVTN8 might fit in a big pocket. You will want a different pen, though. The standard stylus is terrible for drawing.

anjn3515

Thanks for the advice. I need to see if there is someplace to test one out.

Part if me wants to go full out Pro 2/3 type tablet. Just in case I want to do some "real" work on the go. I so wish I would have waited for the Pro 1 and skipped the iPad

SurfaceProArtist

That's my issue with the small form factor. The temptation is too great to "do more." The software runs, but the screen is simply too cramped and the hardware isn't powerful enough.

anjn3515

I hear you. Have you used the. Wacom windows PC tablet. Cintiq companion I think it's called. If so any thoughts on it.

SurfaceProArtist

Yes, the Companion is great. The only knocks are: it uses an older processor (same as SP1), has lower battery life and is larger and heavier than other options. Price is high too and some users have complained about the flimsy stand. I'm hoping the next generation leapfrogs Surface Pro 3 with Broadwell chip and comes out this fall. I'll probably break down and buy it then.