RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
fronty

Internet Explorer Bug

fronty

The news says not to use internet explorer because of a security bug, but that is the only browser on rt. Do you think the rt version is imune? If not then what?

Wishing for firefox.

Thanks

serpico007

Too bad Firefox is no more. I'm sure if you don't click any unknown links, you'll be fine for now.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

The others have leaks too. You just don't hear about it.

Sent from my Lumia Icon via Tapatalk

WolfJT

Surface RT will not have this bug, as it won' t allow for the install of the flash component of the flaw. Read Steve Gibson's blog about the bug, he is the calm in the storm. Try not to listen to the majority of the tech press who thinks IE is still at version 6. For some reason I can't paste the link to Steve's article here, just look him up on Twitter he tweeted the link. Steve is SGgrc on twitter.

• Like 1

fronty

Surface RT will not have this bug, as it won' t allow for the install of the flash component of the flaw. Read Steve Gibson's blog about the bug, he is the calm in the storm. Try not to listen to the majority of the tech press who thinks IE is still at version 6. For some reason I can't paste the link to Steve's article here, just look him up on Twitter he tweeted the link. Steve is SGgrc on twitter.

Thanks, kinda what I thought.

pfinter

However, if you still are concerned with the flash add on for RT, you can disable it just like you can on a x86-64 version of windows 8/8.1.  

1. Go to the desktop
  2. Launch IE from the desktop
  3. Select the settings gear icon
  4. Select the internet options menu item
  5. Select the "Programs" tab
  6. Click the "Manage add-ons" button
  7. On the left hand side of the dialog window; select the "All add-ons" on the "Show:" drop down selection box
  8. On the right hand side of the dialog window; under the heading "Microsoft Windows Third Party Application Component", select the "Shockwave Flash Object"
  9. On the bottom of the screen you are given the choice to "Disable" the Flash object or "Enable" it if you think it's ok and it was already disabled.

Clarkb

This has been a bit confusing to me and if there are folks who can add more clarity to this please reply but, if I understand correctly, there were two separate security advisories issued by Microsoft.

2755801:  The zero day Adobe flash issues that both Microsoft and Adobe have issued updates for.

2963983:  The remote code execution issue which affects all versions of IE, including RT, and is the one Homeland Security issued the warning about, which still is awaiting a patch/update from Microsoft.

You can read details on the TechNet Security Tech Center here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/security/2963983.aspx

fronty

This has been a bit confusing to me and if there are folks who can add more clarity to this please reply but, if I understand correctly, there were two separate security advisories issued by Microsoft.

2755801:  The zero day Adobe flash issues that both Microsoft and Adobe have issued updates for.

2963983:  The remote code execution issue which affects all versions of IE, including RT, and is the one Homeland Security issued the warning about, which still is awaiting a patch/update from Microsoft.

You can read details on the TechNet Security Tech Center here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/security/2963983.aspx

Crap! Seems if you are somewhat web savy you should be ok, I guess.  I got a fix, Microsoft buys mozzila and gives us "firefox explorer", har har.

pfinter

Crap! Seems if you are somewhat web savy you should be ok, I guess.  I got a fix, Microsoft buys mozzila and gives us "firefox explorer", har har.

ummmm..... I'll pass.  :lol:

fronty

FYI update has been released, even for XP.