RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Don W

I Want A Surface Pro 2 - Which One?

Don W

So in the Buy & Sell section I am selling my Surface 2 so that I can buy a Pro but which one? I can get the 128GB version with 4GB RAM or the 256GB with 8GB RAM. Is the extra $300 worth it? I think it is more the RAM that I am worried about. Has anyone tried them both out to see if it is worth the extra money?

Thanks

Don 

SurfaceProArtist

The extra RAM comes in handy if you're planning to use memory intensive applications like Photoshop with high resolution images. 

serpico007

It was worth it for me because I use high end apps and game too. Even if you don't do any, it prolongs your investment.

CommonTek

Totally agree, I recently bought an acer aspire s7 and I got the 8gb ram. I didn't need it but I figured I might as well to prolong the investment, especially for only $100 more.

Dave

It's a tough decision because the price point is so much higher. I have the 4 and obviously wish I had the 8 but there it has not limited me in any way. Knowing I only have 128 SSD has limited my installs though. I have a photo shop desktop that I can use though.

Deckyon

I personally do not recommend the lower RAM model at all.  If someone balks at the price, I say to wait longer and save more.

Or, go with an ultrabook.

The tablet itself is a different form factor that wont fit everyone's needs, and you pay for the form factor.

callihan44

I do light photoshop work on the pro 2 and haven't noticed it bog down with 4gig of ram, Ive played skyrim and other games with no issues either. I also have a workstation for more intensive tasks so the 128 with 4 gigs of ram works for me

SurfaceProArtist

Deckyon is obviously a power use, but I must say I still get plenty done with Surface Pro 4/128. The storage limitation is more of a concern than the RAM.

Don W

Deckyon stated that there were different form factors in the 2 Pro models. Is that true? Because I also want a dock I want to make sure I am getting the right one.

Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Deckyon

I was speaking in refrence to ultrabook and tablet.  The Pro series are full on computers, not just tablets.  They run the full version of Windows rather than RT.  The the smaller the form factor with the same guts, the higher the price.  Anyone remember the $3200 Sony UX series handheld computer?

You have to decide for yourself.  8GB is more future-proof than 4GB, especially in a very fast-moving tablet PC market.

And yes, I have pushed that memory while working on a simple 10 minute video.  Made me miss my MBP.  However, I didnt buy it to do full video processing, only downloading (from the cameras).

Edited by Deckyon