RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

What to choose?

Migelo

Hi everyone,

I'd like to build a home server for storing family photos, centralising the data storage in our house and making everything (movies, music, photos...etc.) safely stored and easily accessible. The server's task won't be complicated, no direct video streaming, just data transfers.

I have two motherboards lying around, first is Asus P5N-T Deluxe and the second one is GA-945P-S3 and am wondering which one to choose. Is it better to buy another mobo with integrated graphic or spend money on a cheap GPU? The power consumption should be as low as possible. At first the server will have 2x2TB disk's, more will be added when necessary.

For servers, I'm a fan of on-board graphics (basically just one less thing to go wrong).

That being said, I'd go with the asus over the gigabyte board, simply because it has more SATA ports. It's also got more PCIe slots which will give you further expansion options down the road (if you need them).

On the other hand, if you're considering building an actual system for someone (like a daily use machine), I'd use the Asus board for that and make the homeserver out of the gigabyte board.

Don't forget to make sure the BIOS isn't using the SATA ports as IDE. I made that mistake. 2 of my ports on a 6 port mobo controller were not available since it was using them as IDE, and only 4 were available.

I won't be building any systems for daily use.

There is another problem if I stay with any of my current mobos, there isn't any power-efficient CPU for 775 LGA. Are atom processors good enough?

@AllToga: Noted, thx.

Edited by Migelo

Sure, no streaming, just a lot of data transfers.

EDIT: Sorry, I'm confused. If I have a movie stored on a WHS and I get on a laptop, browse to that movie and start playing it over WiFi is that heavy on GPU? As I see it there isn't a reason to be that way, the WHS just transmits the data to laptop and movie decodes there.

The GPU heavy streaming would mean playing a movie direct from WHS on a TV/projector...etc.?

EDIT2: I did some searching and discovered that there aren't many 441 socket mobos with 4+Sata 2 ports, do you recommend any?

Edited by Migelo

I think there's two different views on Streaming. It could mean that a client is accessing the data from the server, and viewing it on the client. Or it could mean that the server is transcoding on the fly to deliver the stream to a client.

I had a WHS V1 server running an old AMD processor, and it streamed videos and music fine (streamed where the client accessed the movie and played it on the client)

Media stored on an atom based WHS and delivered directly to a Windows 7 client poses no issues at all for me. Acer H340 with 2 Gigs RAM to a Dell XPS 1530 over a network segment approximately 75 yards in length. The HTPC I build (i530-4 Gigs RAM) sititng right next to the server.....just plain rocks.

Thx for clearing that up.

So it seems the best was is to buy 441 mobo (integrated graphic, sound), an atom processor, 2x2TB HDD, a nice case and a PSU. I already have 2x2GB DDR2 RAM.

Any suggestions on the mobo?

Although I do not like the Atom boards, I agree with AllToga if all you want is data storage. The problem is we all start that way and it won't be long before you realize you can do more and at that point, you will wish you had something a bit stronger like an I3. If you are buying new and building it yourself, then go with an I3-530. If you are sure that you will not ever put Vail on it, then go with the Atom. In the long run you will not save much with Atom but they are cheaper. Good luck.