RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
laban77

Hardware (Usb) Version Of Artdock?

laban77

I wonder if there is any minimal set of programmable keys that I can just plug in to the USB port, something like ArtDock but in hardware form.

It would be enough with say four keys to do the most common control key presses. Minimal so that it can be attached at all times and still being able to close an attached keyboard.

Is there such a thing?

SurfaceProArtist

Haven't tried any myself but there are USB programmable keypads as well as programs like Roccat Power-Grid that turn your smartphone into a remote keyboard.

Edited by surfaceproartist

laban77

Yes, there are many things like numerical keypads etc. All with a cable. I'd like something even smaller. Something like a tiny usb memory stick that extends sideways (instead of sticking out too much) with a couple of small buttons on it. I know I'm the picky one here, but with all things USB these days there must be such a thing. I have searched without finding any though :/

Maybe I'll sketch it out during the weekend if I have the time. 

laban77

I made a sketch. Unfortunately I can't figure out how to attach it here. Seems like I would first have to upload it somewhere else. Does anybody know how to do this?

SurfaceProArtist

You could upload the image to your Flickr account or Dropbox. I was going to recommend OneDrive (formerly SkyDrive) since it's integrated into Windows 8, but I couldn't make it work just now...

laban77

Ok. Thanks. I uploaded it to Google Drive, still unable to insert it here but I hope at least that this link will work:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9Bos_sNOL0TN3pSN1lGNzRabVU/edit?usp=sharing

I just mean something minimal like this, with a small number of buttons on the side. It should allow modifier keys and combinations to be mapped to the buttons, such as 'ctrl + shift'.

Is there anything like this out there?

SurfaceProArtist

Nice image! Unfortunately, no, I haven't seen anything like that. Time for a Kickstarter?

laban77

Yes, or it shouldn't be hard to make one if you are in to this kind of things... I suppose. Unfortunately I'm not.