RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
ROZZ

Windows Phone 8.1 Update First Impressions

LawnPaul

I love the update but I had to hard reset my phone (wipe it clean) in order for Cortana to work. Apparently hundreds are having the same issue on wpcentral's forums. I'm shocked they haven't wrote an article about it.

I have noticed a dramatic speed increase in resuming apps.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

JWA0507

I've already installed it on my Lumina icon and love it, it made a really good phone a great one with this update .

I'm actually getting excited all over again about windows phone.

pfinter

I added the third column to my start screen on my Lumia 920. very cool if you like small buttons like I do!

• Like 1

mjgerrard
I only really have four gripes, otherwise it's a very impressive update:

The VPN support is truly useless, which is a shame considering Microsoft touted VPN support so much with this release of software. It only supports IKEv2, which is quite hilarious considering Windows Server 2012 Server Essentials builds you an SSTP/SSL VPN by default. There is a link to "Download an SSL client from the Windows Store" in the VPN settings, which currently sends you to pretty much nothing. Oh dear.

Facebook integration is missing from the Messaging hub. I can appreciate that, programmatically, it's difficult to maintain this feature. The problem is, that it was cool - mainly because of persistent message threads between SMS and FB; but also because Driving Mode would send response SMS to Facebook users who happen to message me while driving. It would have been nice that they had kept the feature, and not updated it, rather than just dumping it.

Support for jumping into SIM settings from the Action Center. I frequently switch data on/off or switch between 3G and 4G. This is rather annoying, but luckily Cool Tiles exists and offers a Tile-based replacement for this functionality.

There were rumours of support for Miracast on the Nokia 1520, but alas it looks like they'll be switches on in Nokia Cyan. No Miracast for the Nokia 1520 out of the box, folks.

Roll on more updates!

tojoski

I will miss the live messenger feature built into the messaging app. My wife and I have use that exclusively instead of text messaging. Yes, I am one of those people who is too cheap to pay the $30 a month for group texting.

Yea we can use skype, but we loose speech to txt, ability to send files, ability to send GPS location. It also takes 3-4 seconds to open skype versus the messaging app that opens instantly.

I'll know more after I use it a few days, but I think battery life on my 920 has decreased significantly.

• Like 1

CommonTek

Can someone who has the 925 or any other 16GB phone tell me approx how much available storage is useable after all GDR updates and the 8.1 update?

pfinter

I added the third column to my start screen on my Lumia 920. very cool if you like small buttons like I do!

• Notification Center:
    • Very handy. I guess I didn't realize how much stuff I was missing.
    • Quick options for allowing you to choose 4 apps to access quickly. Very nice.
  • IE 11
    • The reader functionality is a major win! Once a website has completely loaded up, you will see a book icon in the address bar. Clicking this icon adjusts the formatting by allowing you the choose the font size. Additionally, all the adds are removed.
  • Podcasts
    • Native podcast playback has been removed from XBox music and given it's own native app. 
    • All the issues I have had since I purchased my Nokia 920, a few months after it's release, are gone. No more issues with having problems with playback. The just work. Also, a new feature to play a podcast at 1.5x and 2x normal. Great for slow talking hosted shows and pushing through sections of a show that you're not interested in.
  • Cortana
    • I was able to quickly schedule a lunch meeting and it appears (she) has a great capacity for understanding speech.
    • I asked her to play me some music and it worked great. 
    • Disappointed only in not having a full grasp of what she can and can't accomplish yet.
      • Asked her to play something specific and I got a Bing search results page. (Maybe I didn't ask her nicely enough???)
  • Separate Volume controls (2 types)
    • Media / Apps
    • Ringer / Notifications
    • Both types can be muted independently of each others
  • Swype like keyboard update
    • It seems to work great and my son really likes it
    • Not sure of the benefit to me of this unless I'm holding and typing with the same hand.

tojoski

Ok,  I can now say that it was the "Battery" app that I had installed that ironically was draining the battery after the 8.1 Update. With that uninstalled, my battery is now atleast as good as it was previously if not better.

VPN implementation is strange to say the least, and I have yet to make it work using one of the required 3rd party apps, but I'm still working on it.

After reading around on the net, we will presumably get skype integration into the messaging hub at some point in the future.

ecr80

I'm hoping Fortinet releases an app for WP8.1 as that's the one we use in the workplace.

WolfJT

I like the features too. VPN is a joke. I saw a Cisco Anywhere app in the store. I downloaded it, but it only gave me a blank screen when launched. I Uninstalled it and went back and tried to reinstall it only to find out it wasn't in the store anymore. Hopefully this is a sign that Cisco is working on an app.