RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
ROZZ

Windows Phone 8.1 Update First Impressions

ROZZ

I'm sure many of you couldn't wait on the carriers to push out the update and went ahead and installed it yourself like I eagerly did today. What is everyone's first impressions? I'm really loving the parallax background for the tiles. With some strategically placed tiles the home screen looks awesome.

I should also note that the big empty space above the tiles on the home screen is gone. I know a certain podcast host that is gonna be pretty darn happy about that one.

Edited by ROZZ

Dave

It's nice to see an update give so much life to your older hardware.  I felt the same with Windows 7 too.

Cortana, backgrounds, more tiles, notification center.  My $59 Lumia 520 is a powerhouse phone!

What phone are you using that you don't see the blank space? I still have it.

Dave

Maybe it's not as Ginormous as it used to be?

ROZZ

I have the HTC 8x. I compared a screenshot of my current home screen to one I took a few months ago before the update. Eyeballing the two side by side it looks like it's shrunk at least half the size as the original space. I assumed this was gonna be the same on all devices. Actually now w I'm noticing that my Wifi, cell service, time, and battery are always showing now. That might be part of the reason it seems smaller too. Sorry to get your hopes up!

FinsUpDNC

First impressions=falling in love all over again :).  I am pretty sure the 1520 was made knowing what was in 8.1.  It is like a new device, and yes the black up top is much smaller and the icons are as well on top.  

surfaceRT

Loving this update! It has definitely rejuvenated my excitement about Windows Phone. The notification center is awesome. I think that could have been the update on it's own, but they threw in a ton of great things. So far I am liking the swype keyboard, calendar changes, additional volume controls, the list goes on! Download it now!

Sent from my Surface with Windows RT using Tapatalk

WireBoy

I'd love to install it on my $40 Lumia 520 (haha Dave).  This is an AT&T phone that I have not activated.  Advice on how to download/install would be appreciated.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

So jealous. I can't wait to get it on my Verizon icon. With Verizon I may get it next year.

Sent from my Lumia Icon via Tapatalk

I can't wait to get it on my Verizon icon. With Verizon I may get it next year.

Edited by ImTheTypeOfGuy

FinsUpDNC

you can get it now by following the link I posted above. You register as a dev (for free), install an app on your phone....and off you go!

So jealous. I can't wait to get it on my Verizon icon. With Verizon I may get it next year.

I can't wait to get it on my Verizon icon. With Verizon I may get it next year.